Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shaker Chair Construction

Shaker Chair Construction

I recently got a book from the library all about shaker chair making. I like turning, and I thought this kind of project would be fun. The author stated that he uses green wood for the legs, and extra dry wood for the rungs. This way when the wood fully dries the chair joints are super tight. Has anyone tried this? The catch of the whole process is acquiring green hard maple that's 48" in length. Thanks.

Hutch

Nose around in the Turning forum. Those guys are always on the hunt for green wood, because it turns more easily than dry wood. They've developed lots of strategies for acquiring the stuff.

Lol

Actually, that's the forum that first sucked me into SMC. Thanks for the heads up though. I am mostly trying to get info on the process. I am wondering if anyone here at SMC has trid this method, or simply used kiln dried wood and not hassled with the 'shaker way'.

Hutch

I've never done it, but when done right that kind of joint is indestructable.
    I read an article a couple years ago about a chair maker interested in making chairs in the same fashion of using green & dry wood & this guy had to literally cut apart an antique sample chair to see what held it together as he couldn't break the joints!
    If I had 1/2 a brain I'd point the article out for you, but I seemingly have a 1/4 a brain today.

FWIW.

Greg

Matt --
    People really do build those chairs like that, and they're really strong. You might keep an eye out for workshops taught by Brian Boggs, who's well-known for his Appalachian chairs. (http://www.brianboggschairs.com/index.htm) Another guy, out here, who makes green chairs and teaches about it, is Dan Staltzer (http://www.mendocinofurniture.com/artists/19/)

Neato

Thanks for the links, Jamie. They both do beautiful work, something to shoot for.

Hutch

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Matt --
    People really do build those chairs like that, and they're really strong. You might keep an eye out for workshops taught by Brian Boggs, who's well-known for his Appalachian chairs. (http://www.brianboggschairs.com/index.htm) Another guy, out here, who makes green chairs and teaches about it, is Dan Staltzer (http://www.mendocinofurniture.com/artists/19/)
    Brian is pretty close to me (about an hour drive) and I checked a couple of months ago about any upcoming chair classes and unfortunately there were none scheduled for the rest of this year. Hopefully, there'll be some available next year. You'll need to check back to the site often as his classes fill up quickly.
    Mark

"Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock."
    Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hulette View Post
    Brian is pretty close to me (about an hour drive) and I checked a couple of months ago about any upcoming chair classes and unfortunately there were none scheduled for the rest of this year. Hopefully, there'll be some available next year. You'll need to check back to the site often as his classes fill up quickly.
    He usually teaches once per year at www.kellymehler.com

You can go to the website for pics of previous years' classes.

Currently, Brian has his shop up for sale, with the intent to move to Michigan. He has also talked about teaching in his own shop, as opposed to going "on the road". Bottom line, I am thinking I need to sign up for his class at Kelly's next year, so I don't have to drive to Michigan!
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Shupe View Post
    Currently, Brian has his shop up for sale, with the intent to move to Michigan. He has also talked about teaching in his own shop, as opposed to going "on the road". Bottom line, I am thinking I need to sign up for his class at Kelly's next year, so I don't have to drive to Michigan!
    That is a complete and total bummer! Man, that figures. You're right, Martin, that taking the class at Kelly's would at least be something and better than having to go to Mich!!
    Mark

"Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock."
    Will Rogers

Really?

Sweet deal! I'm in Michigan, and possibly having a class within driving distance would be great!

Hutch

So I was browsing in the bookstore last night, and I ran across a new book by Kerry Pierce. The title was "Chairmaking Simplified", by Popular Woodworking Books.

In the short time I had to browse the book, I knew I had to add it to my library. So I told my wife the next time she needed to buy my a present, that book was what I wanted.

It goes way beyond any article Kerry has ever written, and includes way more information about different styles of chairs than just Shaker.

I took Kerry's chair class at Marc Adams in 2005, and I would post a pic of my chair, but I am still working on the finish. I promise to post it "soon".

If you are a Shaker chair guy, Kerry's book is a must buy.

No connection, just a satisfied student. I especially liked the #1 rocker plans, as I have a new grand niece on the way.

Note: Amazon has it for cheaper than the Borders where I was last night.
    Martin, Granbury, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hutchinson View Post
    Sweet deal! I'm in Michigan, and possibly having a class within driving distance would be great!

Hutch
    Good for you, bad for us.

Seriously, Brian is a fantastic chair maker. I love his chairs!
    Martin, Granbury, TX

Books

I will look into that book, for sure.

I am not a student of the shaker style, and I don't necessarily want to specialize in it, but I love the idea of chairmaking. I have never had the opportunity, but have always wanted to get into chairmaking of all types and styles (except for rustic and adirondac). I also really love period furniture. I thought the shaker would be great place to start, but after getting a little more knowledge I think some of the period styles might be easier. But I suppose that doesn't really matter.

Thanks.

Hutch

Hey Matt, can you give me the title and author of the original book that you got from the library? (Just in case I have not read it yet.)

Thanks,
    Martin, Granbury, TX

John Alexander is an expert on green woodworking and has performed a lot of research on old joints. Check out his site at Green Woodworking

Pam