Thread: D's DTs

D's DTs

A bit of a cross post. But it beats watching McMahon videos, except in a fascination with train wrecks sort of way...

Hi everyone. I have succedded in embarassing my wife with this post on a couple forums already, but I'm too proud not to post her first attempt at hand-cutting DTs.

Armed with this:

She took over my bench a couple weekends ago and did this:

She got herself a tad confused in the marking of the tails and rather than erase the bogus marking lines, she used the smallest Sharpie on my bench and highlighted the proper knifed lines.

Snug, hand-tight and no gaps right from the saw--thanks for the book Rob (hey, a signed copy from his visit that he gave to my wife...meep meep).
    The missus will do a couple more and then start on some boxes this coming weekend.

Take care, Mike
    PS and an edit to the above. This is without my help except to gather the tools Rob mentioned from their ignoble location in boxes...Now she is doing some Bubinga boxes before she tackles a lap desk.

nice looking---

And of course the brand of saw she used was....

They look great for a first try. It is really amazing,when you break something down into simple parts, how easy a complex result really is at times.

Geez Mike,
    Now you will NEVER get back to woodworking!
    She will be doing all fun stuff and you will be the guy in the corner, making saws and sharpening chisels (for her use - griinnnn!)
    Beautiful job for a first attempt!
    Have her post pics of her bubinga box when done.
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Carroll View Post
    And of course the brand of saw she used was....

They look great for a first try. It is really amazing,when you break something down into simple parts, how easy a complex result really is at times.
    Ha, she too is on the waiting list. Pretty pathetic, huh?

But after her being bumped down the list for 2 years, I am finally getting to her saws. Curly Pink Ivory.

Hi Mike,

She actually sharpens her own stuff. However, I accidently sold off her chisels a couple years ago. A casualty of my personal downsizing of tools. So she already has put in her request for new ones. There will be a few from Jeske and some I am making her.

She's also a turner. She does prefer spinning things to flat work. At least for now. She also has her own shop at the house now that we've moved to larger digs.

Well, gotta run.

Take care, Mike

I think she needs Pink Ivory handles on the chisels too
    aka rarebear - Hand Planes 101 - RexMill - The Resource

Mike,
    Those are excellent! I bet she is using a great saw!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Hi All,

Yep, it is a great saw. Almost a 200 year old saw I have. Hopefully the PI version that I make (it'll be patterned after the same saw) will be as good.

She blows me away. The follow-up DTs were just as tight. Good hand pressure, no mallet, no gaps. It's something that when Cosman was here he really drummed home--mark them well, cut them right and no need to tweak them. Cannot wait to see the boxes she makes when done, but the Jeffersonesque lap desk is going to be pretty nice. I have been hoarding some Mahogany that she found...

Ya know, to build on what Cosman told her, my grandfather always drumed into me when sawing: Start right, stay right and the work is right.

Take care, Mike

Better 'n my first DTs looked.