Thread: Jet Mortiser not wired for US

Jet Mortiser not wired for US

I bought a Jet JBM-5 Mortiser a while back from some guy off ebay. Mortiser looks great only problem is that its motor is wired for European current and the plug’s end has the two round prongs that are used in Germany. My question is, does anyone think this can be rewired to 110 current? If not does anyone else have any ideas how I can make this work in the US?

Germany uses 220V 50HZ. I have several tools that I brought with me from over there. Easiest way to proceed is to run the tool on 220V single phase. The US uses 60Hz, so the tool will run about 20% faster. But that should not pose any problems.

Cheers,
    Bernhard

Can I just cut the German end off the power cord and connect a US 220 one? Also currently do not have 220 in my garage but am looking into getting it. But in the mean time is there some kind of device I can use to convert the voltage back to 110?

Yup, don't know about the economics though

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C Brown View Post
    I bought a Jet JBM-5 Mortiser a while back from some guy off ebay. Mortiser looks great only problem is that its motor is wired for European current and the plug’s end has the two round prongs that are used in Germany. My question is, does anyone think this can be rewired to 110 current? If not does anyone else have any ideas how I can make this work in the US?
    Transformer

It might be worth asking Jet what a new motor would cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C Brown View Post
    Can I just cut the German end off the power cord and connect a US 220 one?
    Check the dataplate on the motor. If the motor is rated for 220-250v, then all you'll need is a new plug to match the 240v receptacle. The frequency difference shouldn't have an adverse effect other than possibly causing the motor to run at a higher RPM as already mentioned.
    But in the mean time is there some kind of device I can use to convert the voltage back to 110?
    You'll need a step-up transformer to convert the 120 line voltage to the 240 required by the motor. A link to some that are available has been provided. Make sure the transformer wattage is not less that the wattage shown on the motor data plate.

As mentioned, consider replacing the motor. Cost of the transformer might be a significant percentage of the cost of a replacement motor (or it may not).
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

As previously mentioned, you will be OK running the mortiser from 240V 60Hz, as long as the 20% increase in speed isn't a problem.

The transformer should be at least 50% larger in capacity than the motor, otherwise you may have starting problems with the motor.

Another item to consider is that the mortiser probably doesn't have an electrical approval for USA. That doesn't mean that it's unsafe, it means that it isn't legal to use it in the US.

You should have it inspected by your local authority. I don't think your fire insurance company will allow you to use un-approved electrical equipment.

Regards, Rod.