Thread: Laser cutting metalic card stock

Laser cutting metalic card stock

I have a request to cut out some designs in what is called
    "Metallic Cardstock" such as the ones listed on this site
    http://www.paperworks.com/page/paperworks/CTGY/MET

I'm not familiar with this material and wondering if anyone has ever worked with it. The name "Metallic" makes me think it has a metal coating on it, therefore not able to cut with the laser. Maybe this is something like Romarks material called "Metal Graph" engravable plastic, I don't know.

I just did a search on Google and found the link above, not sure if that is what the customer is refering to or not but I have to assume that metallic cardstock is the same everywhere.

Thanks
    Mike

Metal coated paper makes me think it would be the same stuff as a gum wrapper. While I've never thought about cutting gum wrappers before, i don't think it would be any different than cutting laser foil.
    ULS M-360 35W, Corel X3

I'm not familiar with this particular brand but based on my experience, metallic paper is laserable. I get very nice results with the silver and gold papers I source from the local art store. Finished parts look like metal.

Anything that is foil coated (or embossed) will be a problem. You can ask for a sample from the company, or you can call them on the phone and ask them if its a foil coating or a laquer. If they don't know, ask them to burn a sample, if there is any foil in the ash, its not laserable.

HTH
    Dave

It should be fine, if I remember correctly they use metal powders with binders on the surface, much like I do to make acrylic look like metal for laser cut letters/logos. It's metal but it's not .

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Picked up some sheets at the local craft shop yesterday and it cuts like butter. Guess I got to worried about nothing.

Mike