Thread: Enclosing a Cyclone?

Enclosing a Cyclone?

Bought an Oneida 2.5hp Dust Gorilla 2 months ago and really love it.....except for the noise. Thinking about building an insulated closet around it, but wondering a.) how effective this will be and b.) more importantly how much open space do I need so that I don't build up back pressure from the exhaust? Was thinking about building from floor to bottom of the ceiling joists which would leave 10" openings above the wall to equalize pressure. Thoughts? Thanks for your help. Frank

2. Frank-

The top joist openings would work and not cause a pressure problem.

Many of our customers build solid from the top down. Most of the noise comes from around the fan blower and filter so enclosing / insulating around the top might provide better noise reduction.

In general, provide 1 square foot of vent opening for every 500 CFM. So your unit you probably should try to get 3 square feet of total vent opening. I might do this at the very bottom.

Insulate the inside with foam pads (carpet padding works pretty well, there are more exotic sound dampening foams out there). Leave several inches all around the motor for air circulation. Also make sure to leave a way to access the dust bin for emptying, the filter for cleaning and also the entire unit in the extremely rare case that you need to do any maintenance.

-Jeff

The noise from my Delta was to loud to suit me also so I just built a 4'X8'X8' closet in the corner to house the dust collector and trash can seperator.

DSCN4354.jpg

It is covered only in OSB with a 4' door. No insulation and one vent at the end. With the door closed I can hardly even hear the DC running. To empty the trash can or the DC I just wheel them out and dump them. It is also a great place to store shop brooms and a lot of other things plus storage on the top.

Chuck
    Last edited by Charles Seehuetter Panama City; 07-19-2008 at 7:57 AM. Reason: Trying to insert picture

A properly constructed closet will be considerably effective in reducing noise. Mine is 2x4 construction with fiberglass between the studs. The interior surface is clad with pegboard...but reversed so the rough "back" of the sheets are exposed. The outer wall is clad with drywall and then some wood paneling. The space between the ceiling joists and the floor of the upper level is filled with Homasote panels that also have fiberglass between them. And....the air return to the shop is a "folded duct" so there can be no direct noise transmission.

I also have my compressor in the space. When my Oneida 2hp Commercial cyclone (equivalent of the 2-2.5hp Gorilla), any real noise is limited to the characteristics of the particular drop and machine hood. (The J/P is loudest, but these are tools I wear hearing protection for anyway) Otherwise, the system is very quiet.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've got some decibel readings before/after on this thread. They're not direct comparisons as the initial pre-closet readings were also without filters and ducting installed yet but it will give you a rough idea of what to expect.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=64272
    Use the fence Luke

Thanks

Thanks everyone. Very helpful info. Will be building my closet soon.
    frank

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    A properly constructed closet will be considerably effective in reducing noise. Mine is 2x4 construction with fiberglass between the studs. The interior surface is clad with pegboard...but reversed so the rough "back" of the sheets are exposed. The outer wall is clad with drywall and then some wood paneling. The space between the ceiling joists and the floor of the upper level is filled with Homasote panels that also have fiberglass between them. And....the air return to the shop is a "folded duct" so there can be no direct noise transmission.

I also have my compressor in the space. When my Oneida 2hp Commercial cyclone (equivalent of the 2-2.5hp Gorilla), any real noise is limited to the characteristics of the particular drop and machine hood. (The J/P is loudest, but these are tools I wear hearing protection for anyway) Otherwise, the system is very quiet.
    Jim,

Do you have any pictures or any other writeups on this closet? Will be doing something similar in the near future (most likely late fall when other projects aren't clamoring for time).

Any others with pictures (thanks Chuck!), I would love to see them.

Brad

Brad
    I've got my cyclone shoe-horned into a pretty small closet. There are pics in the ClarVue gallery album I was keeping up during the installation
    http://www.gallery2.clearvuecyclones...s-Mini-CV1400/
    Use the fence Luke