Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any musicians/studio jockeys here???

Mitchell, intresting thread! I've played piano since I was five, through college did stage band and accompaniments, now teach piano lessons. It's fun. I enjoy playing and teaching, only bad thing about a piano is you can't just sorta take it with you like a guitar, ha! It's interesting to read what folks have said as I've always loved music and playing. Jude

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Howell View Post
    Hey Mitch,
    Solo-ed many years ago and that was that on the flying side. Turned my wing verticle and started sailing.
    Inspected NAV systems from the air for a short time.

UMD is a good school. The FAA is hiring controllers!!
    I hired on avionics tech from UMD and worked with a lot of ATC from the school.
    A youtube vid of him landing at 15 hours last August with his instructor. He's got almost 100 hours and 190 or so T/Ls now. He's just finishing up a complex endorsement in an Arrow. Cool plane. We flew 2.2 hours Friday. He's not doing too bad.

I don't think he's got the brass for ATC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIuQpboS2xw
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Quote Originally Posted by Al Willits View Post
    Started the guitar about 1963-4 and went from a folk group to a 9 piece fusion group (try putting that on your local VFW stage some time) and more different groups than I care to think of, mostly blues rock but did a stint in a country band once......and only once... hehe

Was lucky enough to have a good friend from high school who was a whiz on musical instrument repair, so I always ended up with some pretty interesting combinations.

Favorite axe was prob the 335 Gibson, Hoffman acoustic and a Gretch solid body model forgotten, also I had a D175 Gibson for awhile and that was one sweet sounding axe, Fender pre CBS Twin was prob favorite amp, it was modified a bit also.

Played till a brain abscess left me paralyzed in my left side and after rehab, just didn't want to start over again, sold all but the Hoffman and I pick that up occasionally to remind me I don't play anymore.

Great ride but its over for me.

Al
    ..you had some good gear,Al...
    sorry to hear about the bad luck... but,you still have the spirit tho!!!
    Give an honest days work for an honest days pay

"""""""""""
    you had some good gear,Al...
    sorry to hear about the bad luck... but,you still have the spirit tho!!!
    """""""""
    Ya all them years of finding THE perfect combination and then enjoying playing it.
    Killed me to sell it, but it also killed me to see it sit there getting dusty, tough choice but at my age then I knew I'd never get back to where I was.

Mitchel, you hit it, I now sit back and enjoy listening to music now, ain't all that bad....

Al...better to say I did it than never tried, no matter what the outcome.
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

Al,

I have a friend whose band was one of 8 in the country to play at Orlando at the Jimmy Dean/True Value Hardware Country Showdown. His band won the Idaho Playoffs, the Washington State Playoffs and then the regional playoff in California. He owns a local music store where I bought my guitar and amp. His parents are neighbors of mine. He wanted to do electronic repairs so I taught him some electronics and he bought an oscilloscope, an audio generator, multimeter, tube tester etc. and his store is now an authorized Fender service center. We are close friends.

Everytime I think about selling my Fender bass and amp, my wife and my friend are all over me. I still only play it 3 or 4 times a year, but Kelly and my wife Sharon refuse to let me sell it.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Everytime I think about selling my Fender bass and amp, my wife and my friend are all over me. I still only play it 3 or 4 times a year, but Kelly and my wife Sharon refuse to let me sell it.
    ..as well they should...

I learned to play rhythm guitar from a school friend of mine and by watching a TV show Hee-Haw. I never went anywhere with rhythm guitar and switched to bass guitar at age 12 and played semi-pro bass with a travelling quartet at age 14 and 15. I've never really taken any guitar lessons and never learned to read music. I learned how to read chord charts and such and I've been playing bass at our church for the past 6 years now. We play a very wide range of music from traditional church hymns to contemporary Christian music. The only trouble I have is with this white boy trying to play like he's got some black soul in him. I can get real close, but one day I'll have the "soul" to slap and pop by bass like a good soul brutha should.

I've laid down several bass tracks for some recording studios and I've even sent my Nor. Bro Tyler one of the Jazz pieces I recorded about 2 or 3 years ago.

My how time flies.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I have been playing guitar in classic rock cover bands since 1970. Actually, now that I think about it, I have been playing classic rock 'covers' since about 1990, before that I was in top 40 bands

My last gig was three piece, and we finally 'retired' in 2005 after almost 25 years together as a unit. We still get together a few times a year to do some revivals for charity, and are currently preparing to play on a cruise ship this November which is being jointly sponsored by our band and several other classic rock bands from my area. Should be a hoot. The biggest obstacle right now is getting gear from Wisconsin to Tampa. We had it covered a year ago in the planning stages, but the current gas crunch changed the costs to making it almost prohibitive.

I have a small (36 track) digital recording studio in my basement (which is in the part of my basement not occupied by my workshop) and have recorded my band and quite a few other local bands and musical acts (not just rock) over the past 20 years. The following link is to some of the stuff my three piece band recorded in my basement a few years ago.

http://www.cdrowe.com/studio_Tailspin.htm

Dick,

If you guys are as good live as you are on those recordings....I'd pay to party with you!

Nice sounds and my kind of music!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

"""""""
    My last gig was three piece, and we finally 'retired' in 2005 after almost 25 years together as a unit
    """""""""

My neck of the woods that would come close to setting some sort of record...

Although usually not much fun, going though all them auditions sometimes were interesting, had a guy show up who said he could play anything....knew maybe 6 cords and played what I could only call free formless lead, then there was the key board player who showed up with out a keyboard, he said it was in hock and figured he use one of ours... the list goes on.

Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Rowe View Post
    I have been playing guitar in classic rock cover bands since 1970. Actually, now that I think about it, I have been playing classic rock 'covers' since about 1990, before that I was in top 40 bands

My last gig was three piece, and we finally 'retired' in 2005 after almost 25 years together as a unit. We still get together a few times a year to do some revivals for charity, and are currently preparing to play on a cruise ship this November which is being jointly sponsored by our band and several other classic rock bands from my area. Should be a hoot. The biggest obstacle right now is getting gear from Wisconsin to Tampa. We had it covered a year ago in the planning stages, but the current gas crunch changed the costs to making it almost prohibitive.

I have a small (36 track) digital recording studio in my basement (which is in the part of my basement not occupied by my workshop) and have recorded my band and quite a few other local bands and musical acts (not just rock) over the past 20 years. The following link is to some of the stuff my three piece band recorded in my basement a few years ago.

http://www.cdrowe.com/studio_Tailspin.htm
    checked out "China Grove"... excellent job for only 3 people.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    After all my whining and reading other reports here I have to admit, my music is in the top three of great sojurns in my life.
    It has taken me more places and introduced me to more people. The one thing the gang from HS and college ask is "Do you still play the guitar". Only one said too bad. Good or bad It left an impression

I'm dragging it over to a friend's cabin in Cheeseville. (WI) for a little Fishing and R&R.
    This retirement schedule is pretty grueling.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Rowe View Post
    Dick.... Sweet!!!! Gave a listen... A double-plus. (I do miss the horns in Draggin the Line though)

I'd kill to get a Chicago tribute band going (I play sax) tough thing to hold a bigger band together, esp w/horns.

edit: poked around --- NFL??????? Share, man. Do tell.
    Last edited by Mitchell Andrus; 07-21-2008 at 9:08 AM.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    After all my whining and reading the other threads, I have to admit, my music is in the top three of great sojurns.
    It has taken me more places and introduced me to more people. The one thing the gang from HS and college ask is "Do you still play the guitar". Left an impression.

I'm dragging it over to a friend's cabin in Cheeseville. (WI) for a little Fishing and R&R.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Howell View Post
    Suck it up, Ty. Somebody's got to do it.