Thread: Modifying Hybrid Saws For Greater Internal Dust Collection

Modifying Hybrid Saws For Greater Internal Dust Collection

My el-cheapo Delta hybrid (as good as it isn't) just doesn't have the dust collection that the manufacturer claims. I routinely have to clean out the inside, where the dust just piles up on the sloped metal ramp.

Has anyone made a modification to the internals of Delta's hybrids for better dust collection?

Something that just came to mind was maybe modifying something like this to sit underneath the blade:

Mike,

What kind of DC setup are you running?

-Jerry

Not having a hybrid but a contractor's saw, I greatly increased dust collection by raising the dust pan so much so that the blade will rest on the pan with about 1" sticking above the table. Note that the pan is a 13"x13"x1/4" piece of OSB with an 8" piece of PVC ASTM2729 epoxied to it.

My DC is a CV1400 ClearVue. There is zero dust inside the saw. I used 2x4s to raise the pan. I've vacuumed the floor under and around the saw a few times to test for dust. Still haven't found any. What little dust I get is from the top. Haven't attacked that problem yet though that is the easy part.

Burt

Quote Originally Posted by jerry nazard View Post
    Mike,

What kind of DC setup are you running?

-Jerry
    Umm, good question. Didn't think to provide that info because I'm not wanting to consider that the cause of my problem:

Delta 50-760 1.5 hp 1200 cfm (240 volt) with a single, straight 10 foot run of 4 inch plastic (with no size reductions).

Quote Originally Posted by Burt Alcantara View Post
    Not having a hybrid but a contractor's saw, I greatly increased dust collection by raising the dust pan so much so that the blade will rest on the pan with about 1" sticking above the table. Note that the pan is a 13"x13"x1/4" piece of OSB with an 8" piece of PVC ASTM2729 epoxied to it.

Burt
    Here's the problem: where the motor hangs in relation to the blade. You can see the dust collection port on the right, and where the dust is not being pulled from:

Heres what I did with my cabinet saw. The results were dramatic. It shouldnt be any problem to do this to a hybrid:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=76571
    My favorite cologne is BLO

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Norris View Post
    Heres what I did with my cabinet saw. The results were dramatic. It shouldnt be any problem to do this to a hybrid:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=76571
    Looks good.

Worth a try connecting up a second line as my DC has two ports.

Thanks,
    Mike in Denver

With 4" duct, you're limited to about 300-350 CFM--that's all that can fit in the pipe physically at the velocity the machine will generate. Getting pickup closer to the source is going to help, but not "eliminate" the problem. Lance's dual pickup will definitely improve things, but honestly, a little "stuff" left in the cabinet isn't what you want to worry about. What's most important is that the fines generated by the saw blade are being captured. Rather, put the second drop on an overarm guard with collection. That helps protect "you".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    That sounds like an airspeed problem. Not enough oomph to suck the chamber clean. There should be adequate openings leading into the cabinet to allow for good airflow. I have heard of folks blocking these off but that just increases vacuum and reduces airflow.

My 1HP DC will clean out the 22124 cabinet (a cousin of your saw) if that is all it is doing. If I run the overarm guard as well I have to divert a lot of airflow to the overarm and the cab will fill a bit. I suppose you could bring gravity to bear as an assist in moving the chips to the mouth of the duct but the residue is really no problem. Once there is a snowdrift of chips acting as a bed, the new chips and dust flow right on out. My.02.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler