Thread: Flocking

Blog Entries

Flocking

This is my second project that I've flocked. On my first try, I tried to find any information that I could on it. Hope this helps somebody.
    First, prepare a box for each piece that you're flocking. In this case, i have two. The box itself and the little drawer that will slide.

Next, I taped the boxes (optional) to keep the "glue" off the parts that I didn't want flocked.

Next, I prepared the flocking gun....

Now, you have to work relatively quickly. The flocking adhesive has an open time of only 10-15 minutes. I did one piece at a time. I applied the adhesive to only one piece. I will finish this piece and then repeat the application of the adhesive & flocking on the 2nd piece. Make sure you seal the intended flocking area with either Polyurethane, Lacquer or shellac or whatever you're using. Don't leave the wood bare.

Better to remove the tape now....the flocking will not stick on anything that is not glued. If you try to remove the tape later, you stand a chance of pulling some flocking away.

Flock Away!!!

Apply a generous amount of flocking. You can not apply too much. Adhesive only holds what it can hold.

Repeat Steps for the 2nd Piece. Apply Adhesive.

Remove Tape. Clean up the lines (I'm terrible with a paint brush)...

Put in the plastic lined box and Flock Away!

Now it's time to just let them sit......10-15 Hours....

Now..... we wait. Don't touch! Most "mishaps" occur when you want to see the results too quickly. It has to sit for 10-15 hours! Let it sit. Don't touch it. Just walk away and go on to something else.
    Stay tuned until tomorrow - I'll dump the "excess" flocking out and in to the lined box. Clean up the piece, and recover the flocking that didn't stick.

Hope this helps somebody......We'll see how it turns out tomorrow. I'll post a pic over in "Woodworking Projects".
    Last edited by Ed Sallee; 07-19-2008 at 7:16 PM.

Ed,

Thanks for the great pictorial. I have my first attempt at flocking coming up in a few days and your post was very timely.

I appreciate you taking the time to share.

Ed -
    Greetings from up here in Canada. I have been considering this flocking stuff for some little tool drawers to keep things from going all over the place when I open/shut them. I think there was an article in a recent mag about making inserts for the tool chest drawers and cutting out the areas for the tools, then gluing a piece of masonite to the back. Anyway, thanks for the pics and I'll stay tuned to see how it all turns out.

Cheers,
    Lewis

I flock a LOT of small boxes. I've found one of the easiest ways to seal the wood is wood glue. Just paint on a good coat and let it dry overnight. Also if you do much of this you will need to figure out a way to contain the fibers as you spray. They will fly all over the shop and are not healthy to breath so be sure to wear a mask. I've built a custom flocking cabinet and blower for my production needs.

Perry

Flocking

HI, and thanks for the pictorial. I have 3 flocking projects coming up and the demo really helps.

Thanks, I have wondered about flocking but really was not sure how it was done.... Now I know...

Thanks.

I've done a number of bandsaw boxes and flocking is terrific at hiding the saw / sanding marks. For smaller boxes I don't even bother with the "poofer". I just dump in an ample amount of fibers, cover the box, and shake the heck out of it. So easy ... plus it's saved me the price of a spindle sander.
    - Tom

Nice tutorial

One set of directions for flocking said something like "If you don't understand this, don't write to us. Ask a 3rd grader. They do it without problems."

Another trick... line your flocking area with a big trash bag. When done, dump the contents back for reuse. Keep the bag for next time - there will be some flocking stuck by static electricity or caught in the corners that you will recover in the future.

Custom Flocking Cabinet?

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holbrook View Post
    I flock a LOT of small boxes. I've found one of the easiest ways to seal the wood is wood glue. Just paint on a good coat and let it dry overnight. Also if you do much of this you will need to figure out a way to contain the fibers as you spray. They will fly all over the shop and are not healthy to breath so be sure to wear a mask. I've built a custom flocking cabinet and blower for my production needs.

Perry
    Hay, Perry got any pics of that custom flocking cabinet with blower to share will the forum?
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Blog Entries
    After letting it all dry for about 20 hours. I shook out the loose fibers and recovered all the excess from the plastic lined boxes. I left my stir stick from stiring up the adhesive out, and the glue is still a little tacky. Need to clean up the box a little more, but I'm going to leave it dry for a couple of days. At any rate, here's a picture of how it turned out, so far.

Ed, are you having high humidity in Ga. that could be affecting the glue? Here in KY we have our usual July weather in the 90's with high humidity.

Watching this with interest as I am 2-3 days out from flocking 5 boxes. Great job, and good tutorial. Will be interested in hearing more about the final drying time - patience is not a virtue with which I was blessed!

Blog Entries
    I have a dehumidifier and AC in my shop....so it's around 60% to 70% in there. I don't think the tackyness is due to the humidity. Instructions do say that final curing it takes 72 hours to 1 week to cure. I think I waited enough time 20 hours, versus 10-15 as stated in the instructions. However, I am going to let the whole thing sit until next weekend. Then I'll buff out the lacquer and clean up, without worry. The stir stick off to the side is a good measuring tool. So far, I am pleased with the results.

Thank you for the tutorial. I searched SMC and found this thread. I am flocking an urn for my mother and this was just what I needed. My sincerest thanks for posting this. You gotta love the Creek.
    Last edited by Kevin Womer; 06-24-2014 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Grammar