Thread: Is there such a thing as White Cast Acrylic?

Is there such a thing as White Cast Acrylic?

I am looking for some white cast acrylic in only 3/8" thick. I only need to make 16 tiny blocks, so I do not want to buy a full sheet. Each tile is only 7/8" x 10/16" x 3/8" thick. And yes, I'm supposed to engrave tiny little color filled pictures on them! Does anyone know if such a thing exists, and does anyone have a small scrap they would sell to me?

Also - is there a way to tell if the material is acrylic vs. polypropylene?

Thanks very much for any help, dee
    Last edited by Dee Gallo; 07-21-2008 at 1:54 PM.
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Yes, there's cast acrylic in white, as far as I can tell. Most of what I buy is Cyro brand material, and they list it as available from their distributors. Finding a small piece of 3/8" may be a challenge. I think you'll have to spend some time on the phone until someone can find a drop somewhere.

Call Tap, Delvies (sp?), Piedmont, Curbell, or any other large plastic supplier.

The product I see is Acrylite GP (Cell Cast). They have several whites, some translucent, some opaque. Not sure what you're looking for, but I think it is available.

Any reason you have to have cast?
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

It's available, I get it at Tap plastics locally.

Other sources here:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=88436

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Here's a picture of what I'm trying to reproduce. I asked some local people and the best guess is somewhat opaque white cast acrylic. I will check with the sources listed here, thanks everyone!

Somehow, I knew Joe would know...

cheers, dee
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Dee

I have some quarter inch by about 8"x10". I can send you a couple of those for just the shipping.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

How will you get the edges so rounded like that, a rock tumbler? Looks like those were cast.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

Thanks for the offer, Mike but 1/4" would be too thin. I need 3/8".

Joe - they must have tumbled them to polish, but they were most likely cast in that shape. I would have to do the shaping and polishing by hand if they were cut from a bar shape.

I think I'm going to send the sources to my customer, tell her to figure out a way to rough out the tiles herself and then I'll do the carving, shaping and polishing for her. When she sees the price of this stuff, she will most likely say nevermind... but you never know with some people.

Another question: can I cut this stuff with my laser?

Thanks guys, dee
    Last edited by Dee Gallo; 07-21-2008 at 4:12 PM.

Red Coin Mah Jong

Actually, that's tricky. I can barely do 3/8" on mine and I have 45 watts, it may be too thick for your 35.

Somewhere in the garage I have a rock tumbler, may have to dig it out to try acrylic some day. If it works on rocks it should be faster on acrylic. We used to make jewelry with it.

Sammamish, WA

Hi Dee,
    I've cut 3/8" clear extruded acrylic with 25 watts but I think it was 1 or 2 % speed. I made myself a sail boat with a clock, thermometer and a humidity thing-a-ma-jig in it. I need to take some pictures and post them ( as I ramble way off topic..........)
    Brian Robison
    MetalMarkers
    Epilog Mini
    Rabbit 1290

Thanks, Brian - I'm hoping I don't have to even try to cut it. She's out in Denver, so she has more possible sources than I do in the outskirts of nowhere. She will try to find a source, thank goodness!

I was thinking about getting a rock tumbler just for yucks, can you imagine trying to flame polish those little pieces? I will probably just end up using microsanding pads and maybe a buffing wheel.

BTW - I went to my local hobby shop to look for this stuff and found 1/64" Baltic Birch Plywood. The guy gave me a piece to try out. I can't believe there's 3 layers there!

cheers,dee

Red Coin Mah Jong

I buy the green scrubbie things in 8x10 then cut out 5" circles and put those on my buffer they work great for acrylic and they don't get so hot that you end up melting your piece. Like you would if you held it to hard against a buffing wheel.

Support the Creek Please
    DONATE ! .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    SKYPE# : CLASSICMARINE1

Take 3 pieces of 1/8" and use Weldon #3 to bond them, then polish the do the edges and it should be just fine. 1/8" cuts fast too.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation