Thread: Jet 22-44 Infeed/Outfeed Tables w/ pics

Jet 22-44 Infeed/Outfeed Tables w/ pics

I got this sander and the tables at the beginning of the summer knowing that the footprint was going to be an issue. I ended up attaching the outfeed table as prescribed but decided to attach the infeed table so that it would swing out of the way. There's nothing really too complicated about the set up and everything seems to work fine. The two brackets that hold up the table have swivel feet that are adjustable. I put some of the protective rubber pads on the feet to give them some gripping power. I haven't put anything real heavy through it yet but just from pushing on the table it seems like it'll be able to take whatever I throw at it. I can't access the door to the cabinet when the table is down but I figured that wouldn't be big deal since the only time I would want to get in there is when I'm using the sander and the table would be up anyhow.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Russ,
    Thanks. I have been following this to see how you solved your dilemma posted in another thread. I recently bought the 16x32 and I plan to do the same thing only with shop made in/outfeeds.

Anything you would have changed or that gave you a hard time that I should look for?
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Nice Solution!
    Women are like phones. They love to be held and talked to, but if you press the wrong buttons you'll get disconnected!

Life is one fool thing after another whereas love is two fool things after each other

Excellent solution...exactly what I wished I would have done with mine when I first bought it. Fixed auxiliary tables really upped the footprint considerably.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Excellent idea. I have the same unit with the same tables. Currently taking up A LOT of real estate. I probably won't get to it any time soon, but I'll keep your method in mind. It's simple and yet does the job quite nicely.

I also see you've got the Wixey DRO. Looks like you mounted it the same way I did (great minds think alike!).

Be well,

Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey Torres View Post
    Russ,
    Thanks. I have been following this to see how you solved your dilemma posted in another thread. I recently bought the 16x32 and I plan to do the same thing only with shop made in/outfeeds.

Anything you would have changed or that gave you a hard time that I should look for?

I should've moved the bracket on the left side (the one closest to you in the picture) farther out. As you can see it is at an angle when holding up the table. I guess it's not really a big deal but it would be more stable if it was closer to being parallel with the edge of the table. If you're going to mount the tables in a similar fashion make sure that the piece of stock that is bolted to the table is at least 1 1/4" thick. Otherwise the piece of stock that is attached to to via the piano hinge will hit the brackets below.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Excellent info. I pick mine up in a an hour or so and will definitely give this a go.

Thanks for the compliments. Jim, your previous comment regarding the footprint of the sander is one of the main reasons I knew I'd have to do this once I picked one of these up.
    Don, I haven't had a real chance to use the DRO yet. I calibrated it but that's about it. I plan on making some cutting boards for Christmas gifts so I'll be using it extensively then.
    If you guys decide to do something similar be sure to post pics.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

BTW, who's the guy that decided to put straightline castors on this thing! It's not too heavy that you can't swing it but it just seems ridiculous. I'm thinking of taking the wheels off and putting it on a mobile base. Has anyone done that yet?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Tribby View Post
    BTW, who's the guy that decided to put straightline castors on this thing! It's not too heavy that you can't swing it but it just seems ridiculous. I'm thinking of taking the wheels off and putting it on a mobile base. Has anyone done that yet?
    Russ, I agree - this is the second tool I own that has inline casters for it and they are ridiculous.

For both mine (the sander and my Hammer J/P) I removed the inline wheels and use a HTC 3000 Universal mobile base. These are the heavy-duty versions and work quite well.

The J/P may be pushing the upper limit, but for now it works.

With the drum sander it's perfect. I thought that it may be too narrow a stance (seeing as how top heavy it is), but when locked down it's stable. Rolling it is like rolling a drill press on a mobile base (which I have) - top heavy, narrow base, so go slow. As I haven't rigged up anything for the tables yet, I move mine a lot and have not had any problems with it.

Be well,

Doc

Nice idea and execution. I have to do this soon.
    BTW, I have the open stand 22-44" model and installed the Rockler locking casters that come as a set of 4 in a box for ~$40. They have worked great and save a lot compared to the jet casters.
    Gary

Nicely done.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC