Thread: Shopsmith factory tour in Dayton Ohio.

Shopsmith factory tour in Dayton Ohio.

Over the weekend I had the opportunity to take a tour of the Shopsmith factory in Dayton Ohio. I was impressed with all the quality control that goes into each tool being made. The inventor of the Shopsmith made some of the machines in 1947 to manufacture the model 10er and they are still in use today to make the Shopsmith MarkV. They do not cast the parts but receive them in the rough and do most all of the machining in Dayton. Any part that is farmed out to be manufactured is done so close by like Cincinnati,Cleavland and other places close to the factory. They said this was done so if they had a concern, it was within driving distance of the factory. Crates around the factory hold things like the Emerson motors that go into each Mark V.
    They had and air conditioned room in the center of the factory that housed two, eight inch granite surface plates to test the fit and finish of tools being made. There is only about 21 employees at Shopsmith so it is a true home town, made in the USA product. Most employees have 20+ years in the company.
    It was very fun and interesting to actuality see something you use and enjoy everyday being made. You start to see the Value in the more expensive American made equipment.

Dave, is the factory the place right on I-75 north of Dayton? I thought I saw a "For Lease" sign out front when I went by a couple weeks ago and assumed the worst. Glad to see they are still around.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Dave, is the factory the place right on I-75 north of Dayton? I thought I saw a "For Lease" sign out front when I went by a couple weeks ago and assumed the worst. Glad to see they are still around.
    Yes that is the place. They are selling off the front half of the building. All the manufacturing is done in back. The front was a big warehouse when they operated retail stores in many states. No need for that space now.