Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hammer A3-31 Mobile Base

Hammer A3-31 Mobile Base

I made this mobile base for my Hammer A3-31 Planer/Thicknesser.

The mobility kit supplied by Hammer required the machine to move along the long dimension (about 55 inches wide), and I needed my machine to move along the short dimension (about 24 inches).

I fabricated the base from 1 1/2 X 1 1/2 X 3/16 hot rolled steel angle, and the wheels are steel with roller bearings.

I also fabricated a handle with two steel wheels to act as a jack/steering handle for the base.

Regards, Rod.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice wheels.

I made my mobility too not wanting to pay the extra.
    However, I used the J bar approach which requires you to attack the machine from the long side cause the tables would be in the way.

It was a little creepy the first time I lifted it up but they have the weight distributed nicely and it moves nicely.

Rod, that's nice. If the HTC 3000 universal base I have mine on ever fails, I plan on welding my own. I'll keep your design in mind. Excellent idea.

Be well,

Doc

wow Rod,

Was that also made in Austria? Looks like it came off the assembly line with the A3 31. Very sharp! So .. how does it maneuver? Im still thinking of what I'll do for mine.
    "And if my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a wagon." -- Scotty

Hi Steve and Don, the unit is easy to move with the lifting handle, and of course using the handle, you aren't tempted to horse on the jointer tables to move the machine. That's why I rejected swivel casters in favour of the lifting handle.

The lifting handle is the one I made for the base of my 17" bandsaw.

I don't normally move it, however my shop is in the basement of a townhouse, so space is at a premium. I only move it to access stuff stored under the basement stairs.

The wheels were aproximately $15 each, and I spent $40 on steel and paint.

The design isn't as refined as the Hammer design, however it moves in the correct plane, which the Hammer didn't for my application.

Don, thanks for the comments.

Regards, Rod.

Rod,

When you have a moment, can you take a snap shot of the base with the lifting bar attached? Or if you already have pictures in another post can you provide a link to it here? I searched but didn't find any. Thanks.

Nice work, Rod. Very nice!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Nice work, Rod. Very nice!
    Thanks Jim, although I should have spent more time on paint matching so it looked like a factory base......Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Perez View Post
    Rod,

When you have a moment, can you take a snap shot of the base with the lifting bar attached? Or if you already have pictures in another post can you provide a link to it here? I searched but didn't find any. Thanks.

Hi Steve, I will take some photo's however that will be next week as I'm in Salluit Nunavik. (There's a place to Google!)

Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    ...I'm in Salluit Nunavik. (There's a place to Google!)...
    I did

WOW that place is UP THERE!!!

Whatcha doin' up there? No roads leading into it, only the airport. Sounds like an interesting place.

Be well,

Doc
    (someone who loves strange and interesting places)

Quote Originally Posted by Don Abele View Post
    I did

WOW that place is UP THERE!!!

Whatcha doin' up there? No roads leading into it, only the airport. Sounds like an interesting place.

Be well,

Doc
    (someone who loves strange and interesting places)
    Hi Don, our earth station had a small electrical fire in the DC powerplant. It needed repairing so............

Hi Steve, I will take some photo's however that will be next week as I'm in Salluit Nunavik. (There's a place to Google!)

Regards, Rod.
    Here you go Rod, I bumped the thread to make it easier for you to find :-)

You didnt think Id forget did you? By the way, what kind of welding rig you got hiding back there? Mig or tig?

Here you go Rod, I bumped the thread to make it easier for you to find :-)

You didnt think Id forget did you? By the way, what kind of welding rig you got hiding back there? Mig or tig?
    Thanks for the reminder Steve. The base was welded with SMAW (stick, DC, electrode negative), although there isn't a welder hiding in the background. The box on the planer with the electrical bolt, and the grey cord, is the box that holds the starter, capacitors, control transformer, starting winding contactor and disconnect switch. The grey cord is the machine power cord.

In Canada, to obtain electrical approval, the above components had to be removed from inside the machine, and placed in an enclosure. What do the US machines do?

In addition the starting sequence is different from North American machines. In North America, single phase motors normally have a centrifugal starting switch to energize the starting winding, and then de-energize it when the motor has accellerated. The Hammer motor doesn't have a centrifugal switch, it has a starting winding contactor that is closed when you push the START button. You have to hold the button until the planer is up to speed, then release it. (That's why I put the red lamacoid on my machine, so I don't forget and trip the breaker (again).

I've included two more photographs showing the jack handle I made years ago for my bandsaw. The wheels are steel with roller bearings, the handle grips are for a bicycle.

The A3-31 is fairly heavy (about 300 Kg), and the steel wheels are almost frictionless on smooth concrete. I have to remember that when I move it, as you have to remove all that stored energy to stop it in the correct place.

Regards, Rod.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 07-30-2008 at 12:57 PM.

nice job!

Wow Rod,

I really cant say this enough, you really did an outstanding job! You took a concept and improved on it by permitting mobility along on its longer axis. I may have to copy your copy!

Nice welds too! Stick eh?

The base was welded with SMAW (stick, DC, electrode negative), although there isn't a welder hiding in the background.
    Ohh and sorry for the confusion ... I actually meant somewhere out there hiding in your shop as I'm shopping around for a welder to make a few mobile bases and shop aides but thats a different topic for a different forum.

On your questions, unless someone else provides feedback I'll know more in a couple of weeks.

Thanks again!

Steve

Ohh and sorry for the confusion ... I actually meant somewhere out there hiding in your shop as I'm shopping around for a welder to make a few mobile bases and shop aides but thats a different topic for a different forum.

Steve
    Hi Steve, I have an AC/DC stick welder that has the following ratings;

AC Low 30 to 150A, 150A 45% Duty Cycle

AC High 40 to 225A, 225A 20% Duty Cycle

DC 30 to 150A, 150A at 20% Duty Cycle

It is a continuously variable design (moving magnetic shunt) as opposed to the tap changer switch type.

In my opinion it is well worth purchasing an AC/DC machine as opposed to the less expensive AC only machines.

I have used both MIG and SMAW in industry, however for the occasional user, I much prefer SMAW machines.

Electrodes are available for different materials, as well as different diameters at reasonable cost. Mine are stored on top of the water heater to keep them dry.

Regards, Rod.