Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Outfit my shop with Grizzly tools...

Quote Originally Posted by scott spencer View Post
    Welcome to the forum Thomas. As others have mentioned, definitely set aside some budget for dust collection, and check out any good used deals that pop up. It'd be worth talking with any local dealers you have too....they just might be able to put together an attractive package on comparable, or possibly even better machines. You may also want to check out this thread about Microsoft's 10%-35% cashback offer thru Ebay....many folks are grabbing Grizzly, comparable Shop Fox models (owned by the same guy who owns Grizzly), and other brands at nice discounts (myself included ).

Also, be sure to budget for some good blades.

It seems like every time I read one of Scott's post I always agree with it. Scott is so right about the dust collection. Don't go the Cheap route when it comes to protecting yourself and your lungs. Buy either a good portable machine that can be moved machine to machine, but if your anything like me that gets old real quick. If you have the money set up a stationary dust collection system that will serve you for yrs to come.

I would try to get into a 12" jointer if I were you. Last fall I purchased several new pieces from Grizzly with an $8k budget and couldn't be happier, and think you could do about the same. I gave up trying to get used equipment after looking for about 4-5 months.

G0453 Planer - I consider this adequate and easy to liquidate when ready for a larger planer.
    G0514X2 19" bandsaw
    G0609 12" Jointer
    G1023SLX tablesaw

Total with shipping for these is $5627

In addition to this, I purchased locally a Jet 22/44 sander and a Delta dust collector. This should take you right to your budget providing this budget is for primary machines only, and not for hand tools, clamps, etc.

I decided to hold off on spiral cutter heads to maximize my machine purchase. At some point I'll probably upgrade the planer and jointer to these, but so far I am happy with them the way they are.

Watch for sales--I got my Jet sander for $950 on sale at Rockler and a couple of my tools on sale at Grizzly. Just by looking at the prices, it definately looks as though shipping has increased since last fall!

Good luck!
    Greg Stahl

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Rice View Post
    It seems like every time I read one of Scott's post I always agree with it. Scott is so right about the dust collection. Don't go the Cheap route when it comes to protecting yourself and your lungs. Buy either a good portable machine that can be moved machine to machine, but if your anything like me that gets old real quick. If you have the money set up a stationary dust collection system that will serve you for yrs to come.
    Sometimes I agree with me too Denny!

Thomas - This Griz 1023SLX is currently available through the MS Live.com "Cashback" offer for $250 off, or ~ $1146 delivered. The same discount offer would put the Griz 0513X2 17" BS to your door for ~ $767. Since the deal allows 3 discounted items per account, you could get the Griz G0490 for ~ $727 shipped. Opening a second Ebay account would allow 3 more discounted items...there's a Shop Fox 15" planer and dust collector available. You could literally save $1000-$1500 on your major machinery by pursuing that discount....it's legitimate too.

Good luck whatever you decide!
    Last edited by scott spencer; 07-23-2008 at 1:49 AM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Would like to see some rewards to repetitive loyal customers....say 10% off the second large power tool [table saws, band saws, planers...... jointers ], 15% on the third, 20% on the fourth etc. But all I see are lower prices to second party purchaser/sellers i.e. MS and Paypal Ebay etc that I never use. [edit] But better prices for all purchases and all purchasers is maybe better, now that I think of it, but still.......
    Last edited by Chris Barnett; 07-23-2008 at 7:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Bullock View Post
    Thomas, congratulations on your pending purchases. The only Grizzly tool I have is a G0490 jointer that is a good machine for the money. Good luck with your choices.

I also have the G0490 - great jointer and worth spending the money on it. Wish I had some cash flow to purchase some tools, but my shop is crowded enough as it is already...

Welcome to the forum, Thomas

I was in your exact shoes several months ago. After careful research and advice from fellow creekers, I've decided to do exactly as you are considering.

When purchasing your tools pay careful attention to what YOU want and need from your tools. Weekend warrior (like myself) or production?, Fine furniture or craft show birdhouses?, Space limitations for your shop?, The list is endless. The most important thing, (imho) is to determine what YOU need and go from there. All of us here have shops that are as individual and unique as we are ourselves.

There is no question that you can shop around and find quality tools at discounted prices (both new and used) if you are patient and willing to do the homework, I was unable to find a deal I was comfortable with after months of searching. Maybe you will be luckier than I was.

Some other considerations to keep in mind are dust collection (echoed from other creekers) which is very important, Shipping and delivery of the tools, Electrical hookups, Tool mobility(if necessary) and good quality blades are not cheap either.

With that being said, as I reply to your post I am patiently waiting for todays delivery of my new Grizzly GO513x2 band saw, GO634 Jointer/Planer with spiral cutter and, my GO651 Table saw. As I said, I was exactly in your shoes!!

Good luck with your search and welcome to the best forum on the net!
    History teaches us that both men and nations behave wisely,
    once they have exhausted all other alternatives~~Abba Eban

Quote Originally Posted by Shiraz Balolia View Post
    Since you have decided on Grizzly (thank you), these would be my picks for your budget:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiraz Balolia View Post

G0651 Cabinet saw
    G0490X 8 " Jtr
    G0453Z 15" planer
    G0513X2 17" bsaw
    G0563 Osc sander
    G0440 Dust collector.

This puts you right at your budget, but you still need to come up with the shipping cost. Your assumption is absolutely correct about machinery pricing.
    Thank you for your confidence.
    I would agree with Shiraz with one caveat. I like bandsaws. If you are going to use your bandsaw for mostly resawing, the 513x2 will fit the bill. However, if you plan on really utilizing your bandsaw's potential, I would go for all the swing room you can get and would advise the 514x2. Those extra 2 inches makes a world of difference. I would also cut back a notch on the jointer to save a bit of money.

So, my list would be:

Table Saw GO1023 SLZ $1,441
    Jointer GO586 841
    Planer GO453Z 941
    Bandsaw GO514x2 1,391
    Sander GO563 1,396
    DC GO440 841
    Total(with shipping)$6,851

This keeps you under budget, with shipping, by $149 to use for a present for the wife - if you're smart. This is a great budget and I think you'll get outstanding value with your picks.

John
    Last edited by John Bailey; 07-23-2008 at 9:50 AM.
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

Shopping at Grizzly

Thomas,
    I pulled the same stunt about 2 years ago to the tune of $8500. I have a G1023SL left tilt cabinet saw and I have no complaints. It works great. I just recently purchased a new 8 inch jointer, G0586. Its got a 75 inch long bed. Imagine what its like having an Aircraft Carrier in your shop before you get one of these. All my major tools are Grizzly except the planer and bandsaw which are Delta. I have no complaints with Grizzly tools, however some people don't like them. If I had it to do over again, I would only make one major purchase at a time, and then decide what I really need most as I progress.

Good Luck and have fun

Tom

Lots of Good Thoughts

Thomas-

I believe your approach to your spouse must have been inspired.

So far, I have read lots of good thoughts, but I point out that new tools have warranties and that is not uniformly available on Craigslist. Delivery is another problem. I tend to side with those who suggest you buy new.

As some have pointed out, it does not end with the machines. Dust collection is critical, as is proper 220 wiring. You will need dedicated breakers and plugs. In addition, proper dust collection requires ductwork, hoses, etc. Ductwork can get steep quick - look in the Oneida and Grizzly catalogues for prices.

I am a satisfied Grizzly customer also, but I do have Oneida dust collection and a few other non Griz tools. I really agree with anyone who recommends their planers, jointers, and bandsaws, which I think are as good as most folks will ever need. Plus, the carbide insets (spiral) for planers and bandsaws are worth the money - really easy to keep sharp by turning them if they nick (plus easy to replace) and the finish is beautiful.

Now another consideration - blades for the table saw and band saw - they cost money as well. Also, you will need a good block plane - perhaps a Lee Valley Bevel Up if you do not have one and some good bench chisels and perhaps some skew chisels (go to the Neanderthal site - thanks to those excellent folks I have several planes that I use - especially my shoulder, smoother, and jointer plane). You will also needs sharpening stuff - water stones work well.

In addition - a substantial workbench is critical and it should be the first thing you build using these tools if you do not have one already (You will have to buy the vises from someone - take a look at the Lee Valley and Grizzly catalogues).

IMO a big table saw is important, but the right one is more important. Without a doubt a table saw is the most dangerous tool, especially to inexperienced folks or the occasionally careless (mostly all of us ). Many creekers love the European sliders, which they feel are safer than a traditional table saw. Similarly, the Sawstop - which can be a budget buster, is very safe. I note that Grizzly does sell saws with riving knives (like the one Shiraz suggested) and European slider style saws, but some folks are not totally convinced their sliders are the best. (I think they are fine.) In addition, many folks recommend rip cutting as much as you can with your bandsaw - a recommendation I follow for ease of use and safety.

I have to hand it to Shriaz - his list was thoughtful, although I might go with a slightly more powerful cyclone than the one he suggested, perhaps a 2.5 hp.

One other thought - you will need a crew to unload and install this stuff (a forklift or pallet lift may not be a bad idea). Check the weights. Hope you have lots of friends with unloading equipment and that where you want to put this stuff will accomodate it.

Wish you joy in the years to come as you accumulate a router (or three), a router table (a must tool for me), a hundred router bits, a hollow chisel mortiser, an OSS, etc. It kind of never ends, which, to me, is the best part.

Another Tom

Might want to consider portability of your new herd! Mobile bases and casters can get your blood pressure higher than a misadjusted Grizzly tablesaw (mine was spot on, so doubt the TS would be the culprit). While the machines are excellent with little-to-no tuneup, my experiences with mobile bases are not printable, which can end the honeymoon quite abruptly.
    Have tried only two, and the only one with which I had success were the casters from Woodcraft. Wish their sale were still ongoing so I could squirrel a few away for a new jointer.
    Have the 1023SLW TS and 514X21 BS, which have been good. Others' recommendations on a Griz jointer are interesting as I am currently trying to make this decision....which Griz. Note that the Griz web site has an option on creating your own Griz dreamshop; have not tried though since my space is too limiting.
    Last edited by Chris Barnett; 07-23-2008 at 2:15 PM.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Marr View Post
    So I convinced the wife that the price of woodworking tools will increase significantly over the next few years due to transportation and steel prices. Consequently, if I'm ever to outfit my shop, I should do it now. Believe it or not, she said OK. WooHoo! I've decided to purchase mostly Grizzly tools and I need help with the individual selections. I'm hoping to tap into the collective wisdom of this forum to get some recommendations. My budget is about $7,000 to buy the following items:
    - Cabinet saw
    - Planner
    - Jointer
    - Band Saw
    - Sander
    My current woodworking skills are "average" but I hope to buy tools that will still work well as my skills advance.

Well, for $7000, you can buy a lot.
    But you need to ask yourself what you are going to be doing. That will influence things like what size bandsaw to buy. I have an 18" bandsaw that was great for installing flooring, but if I didn't have to do that project, I don't think I could've justified one that big. I never resaw on it, just not my interest. Many people make great work without even having a bandsaw.. A high quality jigsaw is good for a lot of curve cutting.

I would spend some of that budget on a handheld router, and another router for a table, and bits.

My only advice is that with that budget, buy a nice 8" jointer and a floor standing planer (as opposed to a lunchbox).

Also, buy a cyclone, you've got the budget for it.

Finally, look at vendors besides Grizzley. Different companies have different strengths.

Have tried only two, and the only one with which I had success were the casters from Woodcraft. Wish their sale were still ongoing so I could squirrel a few away for a new jointer.
    Chris, which casters did you put on your 1023?

Thomas,

I'm a Grizzly fan and have been for a very long time. The list of Grizzly tools I own is pretty long and I can tell you that I have been pleased with the performance and the price. Many of my Grizzly tools are over 16 years old and I can't wear them out no matter how hard I try. I have a 15" planner and a 1.5 HP dust collector that are at least 15 years old and I can't even guess how many hours they have on them.

You have lots of choices, if you decide to go with Grizzly the list Shiraz suggested would be almost impossible to ever outgrow. Enjoy your quest and the tools you decide to purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Pender View Post
    So far, I have read lots of good thoughts, but I point out that new tools have warranties and that is not uniformly available on Craigslist. Delivery is another problem. I tend to side with those who suggest you buy new.
    I was in Thomas' boat one year ago. So far, in 5 deals I've spent about $2400 on Craigslist, and I've acquired (all in good shape):

- Delta Platinum Edition Unisaw w/52" Bies fence w/Delta mobile base, tenoning jig, Delta miter jig, tapering jig and WWII blade

- Grizzly G0500 8" x 75" jointer

- Grizzly G1033 20" planer

- Powermatic 14" Bandsaw w/3 blades

- Delta X5 18/36 sander w/spindle attachment, Shopfox mobile DC stand, and reams of sandpaper

I did spend another $1K on a JDS cyclone DC that was new. I suspect many of these items don't have transferrable warranties and they didn't deliver, but if you are patient and wait for the right deals... The extra you save can pay for a lot of rental vans and replacement gear...

WOW. I can’t believe all the excellent responses. What a great forum!

Let me add a few more details…

Shop – I build a new 30x36 shop this year. It has 10’ ceilings and is fully open with no posts (thanks to 16” TJI’s on 12” centers). The upstairs is open as well and can be used to store an air compressor and Dust Collector. There’s plenty of 30 amp 220 circuits everywhere, and even a couple 50 amp circuits for a welder and plasma cutter.

Dust Control – I budgeted for DC separately and should have mentioned this point. I have allergies and am fully aware of the need for good DC. I’ll probably get a 5 HP unit to ensure I move enough air. This is a big issue with me and I'm pleased to see everyone making the point about good DC. I even had a 6” pipe for DC embedded in the slap (don't like having a trip hazzard if I can avoid it).

Craig’s List – I’m a big fan of Craig’s list as well. However, to find a good deal, you have to have to sign up for the RSS on your search and check it frequently. I’ve found a few good deals (e.g., my LBGE or Large Big Green Egg) but when the cost of my time and gas is considered, no warranty, and the difficulty of finding exactly what I want (I’m particular), it’s not always the best option for me. It doesn't help that I'm several miles from a large city.

Incidentals – Blades, mobile bases, planes, bits, tool boxes, shelving, gifts for the wife, beverage cooler, etc… have either been budgeted separated or I have them already. As everyone knows, this stuff adds up to A LOT of money. Cost of doing business I guess.

Buy one item at a time – Most of the items I listed are pretty fundamental to wood working. There’s plenty of stuff to add later (e.g., I haven’t even visited the Festool forum yet). Also, I’m a natural procrastinator and tend to overanalyze everything. If I don’t pull the trigger now, I may never get the stuff.

Shiraz – I was aware that Shiraz is the founder of Grizzly. I've followed Grizzly for more than 20 years. In fact, his willingness to comment on this forum is one of the reasons I like Grizzly. What other person, in his position, would go to the trouble? I suspect his motivation to participate in this forum is driven more by passion than profit. I like that.

Final Point: As noted earlier, I should have been more detailed about Dust Collection, shop, incidentals, etc…. I’m 44, and grew up on a farm so I’ve been doing some form of wood working all my life. I’ve got lots of hand tools, power tools and other goodies (e.g., a full blacksmith’s shop). Now that I’ve finally built my dream shop, I’d like to spend more time on woodworking. Given that DC and other items are covered, please “tweak” your recommendations on individual items if necessary.

I carefully read and consider every post. I'm a big believer the the "Wisdom of Crowds" and appreciate your thoughts and advice.