Thread: Installing a Grizzly riser block on a 14 inch Delta bandsaw

Installing a Grizzly riser block on a 14 inch Delta bandsaw

I want to post a few comments on this procedure, as I see this question comes up every so often.
    I have an older Delta/Rockwell saw with the hexagon guide post. I purchased the Grizzly riser kit P/N: H7316 for about 60 bucks. Sometimes on Ebay you can find a Delta riser block, not often though, for about the same price, and thats all you'll get.
    I unbolted the top half of the saw, its not heavy like some have said.
    Pull the 2 pins out with a pair of visegrips and a hammer. Mark the hole locations on the frame of the saw, then set the new riser on top and transfer the hole locations. The holes in the Grizzly riser don't line up with the Delta pins/holes. The holes in the bottom of the riser are larger than the holes in the top. The pins press fit in the top, but just slip into the holes on the bottom. Drill new holes and install the pins supplied in the kit, reinstall the original pins in the Delta. Put it together. The bolt Grizzly gives you will work. The left blade guard will work, though I had to file one hole just a little bit. The right blade guard will work, had to enlarge the wing bolt cutout slightly with a file. The hex guide post, thats not in the Grizzly kit.
    Unable to find a piece if 7/8 inch hex steel, I used a piece of Hex aluminum and it works just fine. Its just a guide post, with no stress on it it could have been aluminum to begin with. The aluminum hex bar was $7 from one of the online metal supply places. I installed the 105 inch blade from the Grizzly kit, tightened the blade and everything worked perfectly. I didnt have to adjust the blade tracking, it was still dead on.
    Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions.

Minor point: Corrosion due to galvanic action is always a factor when you have dissimilar metals in contact with one another. I don't know how aggressive it is between steel and aluminum, however, no if would ever be a significant concern in that location.

Iturra Design has the longer hexagon guide post for the older Delta bandsaws that people have installed risers on. It is part number 10130, cost $30 and phone number 866-883-8064. Page 67 in the 2008 catalog. HTH.
    My favorite cologne is BLO

I know this is an old thread, but I thought a little update might help. I modified the H3051 Kit (also available as H3051P) for the G0555 for a friend and also installed it on my older Delta saw before delivering it to him. The scary part for those asking about the mods was how to locate the pin holes. You need to use some Dykem or a thin coat of lacquer on the machined surfaces of the new block to help see you lines. Locate and drill one of the holes in the block. Install one pin in the saw frame and a transfer pin used for locating dowel holes in the other. You can then set the block over the pin and scribe an arc with the transfer pin. The second hole can be accurately located on the arc. For drilling the mating holes on the other end of the block you will need a long and a short 1/4" drill and one of the pins. You will also need to fasten a board to your drill press table. Drill a hole using the longer bit with the table adjusted so the bit will drill about 1/2" deep at the full extension of the ram. Change to the shorter drill bit. Insert a pin in the hole in the board and put your previously drill holes in the block over the pin. When you drill the new holes they will be directly over the others you drilled if your drill press table is 90 degrees to the spindle and you don't spin the orientation of the block. Mine were a little tight so I used a letter sized drill a little larger on the upper holes. As always you might need to shim an edge or two at the seam if the blade location changes as you raise and lower the blade guides. I used card stock (.010") and masking tape (.003"). I had no twist on mine using this method. You might have to use the block upside down to miss the factory holes. McMaster Carr has the bar stock if you need the hex post instead of the round. The round bar in this kit worked just fine in the hex holes in my frame and guide bracket.

Well worth being it back up Dan,new members and us with that short memory loss thank you This should be one of those sticky note ideals----Carroll