Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DeWalt Radial arm saw a good purchase?

DeWalt Radial arm saw a good purchase?

I found this old dewalt radial arm saw at a garage sale but I dont know if its a good buy. It seems to be in good shape it powers up and feels solid but I don't know enough about them to know what might need to be fixed or if its worth the 100 bucks the guys asking. My grandpa had one and I've seen them used in big shops so I don't want to pass up the chance to grab a good thing. If some thing needed to be fixed could I find parts. Thanks for the help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night
    -Poe

That's one of those old "solidy built" Dewalts. If you can be sure that it works and the blade guards are with it, it's worth at least $100. If it's missing anything you will likely have to find it on EBAY and it might not be such a good deal. Make sure that you can change the blade angle, that the locks all work, that the motor runs and will cut wood, and that you can raise and lower it. A new table can be easily built. If all of the movements work OK they can be calibrated for accuracy when you get it home. Check www.owwm.com for a manual and other information that might be available on it.

Charley

What model?

Do you happen to have a model number or serial number? Is that an 8" or 10" saw?

Hutch

It is a 10 inch saw but I didnt get any numbers off of it.
    Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night
    -Poe

Buy it quick and worry about what you get later. You probably can't go wrong with that saw if you want to end up with a really good RAS.

Very interesting! I happen to see that exact one on Craigslist in ATL today... for $150

Looks like it needs a little TLC - I already have a Craftsmen, so I'm good.

Good luck.

If that is the 10" 1-1/2 HP GWI , the one that Wally Kunkel (Mr. Sawdust), the DeWalt RAS guru, said was the "best," get off the computer and go get it then worry about the other things later (make sure you have the capacity to handle 220v electricity or a 3 phase motor. If it's an MBF it will be a 9" (but use 8" or 8-1/2" blades) with 3/4 HP. Then go to the owwm-dot-com webiste to get the manuals & instructions for it. Also get the How to Master the Radial Arm Saw from the Mr. Sawdust website which will show how to tune your saw and build a table for it and if you do get for $100, you go a steal. I have the 9" MBF and it's great.

Good luck
    Orlando

Good deal, get it!
    No matter where you go, there you are. B. Banzai

The only thing that bothers me is the blade guard appears to be from a 1962 dewalt RAS and this is a 1958 model. I've seen this before but when I restore it I will try to find the round blade guard.
    -Poe

Buy it. They are great machines. It's worth the money even if you have to work on it a bit.

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

More important than the motor running as they can often be fixed cheaply is are the ways that hold the head true and not worn past the point of adjustment, and does it go up and down. These things if broken are harder and more expensive to over come than the motor turning, though a functional motor is a good sign.

Another source for info and actual parts for old DeWalt RAS is Wolfe Machinery. They have a web site but mostly you have to call them as its a simple informative few pages, not a sales site.

As far as worth it? I think given the price of scrap iron presently it is worth $100 by weight alone, so if it runs too you may be ahead of the game! Fun project anyway for $100. My grandfather had a similar one. He had a shaper head, a sander, all kinds of stuff.

I fixed up an industrial model, a 1948 GR42, 14" 17A@220 (they used to call that 2HP!) machine with a 24" cross cut. Got mine free, spent a bit fixing it up, still cheaper than an original saw, and it will out cut a craftsman with the power turned off!

I found one in a package deal back in 2004 [iirc...Lamar might correct this if he sees it]....A Unisaw, one of those exact DW RAS's and a Craftsman Jointer for $600. I of course bought all three. Lamar got the Unisaw in a trade for his Delta TS and I sold the other two to pay for the investment. The RAS sold for $490 on Ebay and it needed a bit of work.

You'll be stealing that one if it works at all.

Quote Originally Posted by James Williams 007 View Post
    The only thing that bothers me is the blade guard appears to be from a 1962 dewalt RAS and this is a 1958 model. I've seen this before but when I restore it I will try to find the round blade guard.

GOOD LUCK. I found a GWI locally, for a note, and I am fortunate. They are HARD to find parts for (I don't need any, thankfully).

I'm picking the saw up first thing in the morning I can't wait! Thanks for all the help!
    -Poe

I got it!

I picked it up and it's in better condition than I expected. It only needs one knob the one to adjust the tilt and the rubber bumpers are a little cracked but nothing major. The motor is powerful and spins for a few minutes after I turn the saw off. The motor is missing the reset button and something else, look at the pictures and see if you can give me any advice. The saw seems to have a newer model blade guard for some reason? If anyone knows where I can find a round blade guard For a 1956ish GWI let me know. I would like to restore it completely but I plan on putting a new table top on it and using it until I get everything together then I'll tear it down completely and put a new paint job on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Poe