Thread: Saved a coffin smoother

Saved a coffin smoother

I saved a coffin smoother destined for the trash heap. It had the usual gaping mouth, deep scratches on the sole, cobwebs, and dry dirty finish. I patched the mouth (dont know if I did it right so you experts learn me if Im wrong), jointed the sole, cleaned with pledge, waxed, and now its serviceable. I got a little carried away on one corner of the mouth so it is a little wider but it doesnt seem to affect the performance.

Its a nice little smoother I believe craftsman made. It has a tapered iron similar to that you would find on an infill. There is a iron strike button on the toe. Total investment $5 and a couple of hours tinkering.

corrin.JPG
    corrin2.JPG

Nice, I'd say that if it works well you did it right...
    "History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it." -Walter Bagehot

Looks like a good save! And a stealth gloat . I'd stay away from the Pledge though. I believe that it has silicone oil in it, which could rub off and affect the finish of the piece you planed with it. Most builders of good furniture even say to stay away from furniture sprays and just dust with a soft cloth just barely dampened with water. Or you could use some lemon oil. I use this stuff on my woodies:

It's basically orange oil, beeswax, and carnuba wax in a light solvent base to keep it flowing. It does a good job. Stay away from anything with silicone oil in it.

nice job Clint. Is that a piece of beech that you used for the patch? Looks like you matched it up quite well. I can't tell if you put a micro bevel on the blade. I am sharpening most of my plane blades without a micro bevel anymore.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Rozaieski View Post
    I'd stay away from the Pledge though
    Oh, yea...I agree with that recommendation big time.

Nice job on the restoration!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Jones View Post
    I patched the mouth (dont know if I did it right so you experts learn me if Im wrong), jointed the sole, cleaned with pledge, waxed, and now its serviceable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Rozaieski View Post
    Looks like a good save! And a stealth gloat . I'd stay away from the Pledge though.
    At least Clint didn't use sandpaper during the rehab.

*ducks*

Nice job!

Finish

Use a mixture of linseed oil and turpentine 50/50 and avoid all of the modern oil crap stuff. If it has orange oil, pure orange oil, I suppose you could use that if you could afford it. The stuff on the market is cheap petroleum distillates (I won't be able to say that much longer) and is not good for wood.

Those oils are non drying so it just makes it look good and offers no real protection. And wax is a huge sticky molecule that can not penetrate wood and is only a surface treatment that will mechanically wear off. Wax should not be considered a finish.

If you chose to use petroleum distillates on old wood 40 weight is cheaper.

Stephen