Thread: Air compressor water trap

Air compressor water trap

I don't know if this belongs in this forum or someplace else, but I figure it's all about finish spraying so here goes:
    I just bought a spray gun, looks good, works fine. The problem is I moved my compressor out of my air conditioned, humidity controlled shop, into a non-environmentally controlled room. Now I'm picking up water in the air line. I haven't done enough spraying to see a problem but I know it will cause problems with water in the finish. So my question is "What should I install to get rid of the water, condensate trap, desiccant drier, oil and water filter? Or should I just move it back into the main shop?"

There are a number of water traps on the market. I bought one from Sears, though I'm sure there are better brands. I mounted mine at the compressor end of the hose, though the recommendation is to place it near the sprayer. If there's a store near you specializing in automotive refinishing equipment and paint, it would be a good place to start because the staff should be able to answer all of your questions.

something you might look into besides the water trap is an aftrercooler. I got mine from Grainger. It looks sort of like a car radiator with a small fan attached to it. The air from the compressor flows through the "radiator" and is cooled to ambient temp by the fan. This is not a refrigerated dryer but does a really good job of getting rid of the water spray from your air hose. I have my pressure regulator with a water trap hooked up after the aftercooler.
    Prior to installing it i had water mist coming out of the hose most of the time. Since putting it in, no more water.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

I actually use 2 water traps on my system....a small one at the compressor outlet, then a larger one followed by an oil trap 30' from the outlet...the 30' from the outlet is the recommended way to set up a spray system, I just added in the one at the outlet for giggles...

The 30' of 3/8 hose runs straight up to my ceiling in my garage and then kind of works its way down back and forth then ends up at the traps...then my 25' of 5/16 hose runs to my spray gun, where I add in a dessicant filter right before my gun just to make damn sure there is no contamination on any sort...I tend to use high dollar automotive clears a lot for woodworking, and since its cost is over $100/gallon I want no issues on the finished product!