Thread: Bricks & Pavers

Bricks & Pavers

Has anyone done any engraving on bricks and/or pavers? I realize they are heavy and the machines might not like that.....but I'm just wondering about the quality and how quickly one can be done (assuming just text). Is there one type more than another that engraves well? Is there a good market for them? Are there any known issues or problems with doing them? Do I assume correctly that you would probably vector cut them in order to get a deeper engraving?

Your opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

A few of my neigbors were re-doing their patios last year so I put dates and initials on pavers for them. The ones that turned out best were dark colored. One was plain grey and you could barely see it. I ended up using a mask and color filling it. I rastered at a slow speed. I think it took around 5 minutes each. You don't get much depth. I think all you do is bleach the pigment that's added to make colors. Sandblasting would probably be a better choice.
    Scott Challoner
    30W LaserPro Spirit (Need more power)
    30W Wisely Fiber Galvo

I agree. Sandblasting is the best choice. Use calendared vinyl and a vinyl cutter to make the mask. Use silicon carbide for the grit. Everyone should have a sand blaster and a vinyl cutter.

Mark
    ULS X-2 660, Corel X3, Haas VF4, Graphtec vinyl cutter, Xenetech rotaries (3), Dahlgren Tables, Gorton P2-3, New Hermes pantographs (2), and recently, 24" x 36" chinese router. Also do sublimation, sand blasting, & metal photo. Engraver since 1975.

Steve - what Mark and Scott said. I did a few bricks for my sister's patio. Found out the following:
    1) With lots of power and slow speed I was able to get the engraving to melt into an almost shiny molten look. Took a long time and not practical for more than one or two.
    2) With average power I was able to get a mark on it, but as expected, not much depth or color change.
    3) Best option is #2 and mask it and color fill. I actually used the Scotch blue painter tape, masked the entire brick, raster cut the letters out and then took a can of black rattle can paint and gave it a quick coat.

Todd
    Todd Schwartz - Des Moines, Iowa
    Universal VLS 4.60 (60W) / ShopBot Buddy / Sherline CNC Mill / MakerBot Replicator+
    CorelDraw X6 / Photograv 3 / FlashCut 4 / Aspire 9

Just came back from ULS headquarters where I spent some time with there laser guru. He had some pavers and I thought they were filled but he said "Oh No" and placed them under a microscope. The brick had actually turned to black glass crystals where it was lasered. I asked how and he told me the secret. ULS makes a High Density Lense they call HPDFO and he used that. He also took the letters and filled it with mulitply vector lines much like a router might tool path an object to clear away waste material. He had placed some college name and a donor name on them and said that it took about 3 minutes per brick.

It really looked great and the words jumped out with the gloss black look of paint. I have yet to try this so I personally can't say yet. Hope this helps.

Kevin

Thanks

I appreciate the input......hmmmm, I wasn't seriously considering the ULS laser, but now I might.......

I did these last night just to satisfy 'that cat'.

Speed 1.0 Power 100% time: 6:37:20

But I did get a nice deep deep engraving with a nice black markings without fill.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Support the Creek Please
    DONATE ! .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    SKYPE# : CLASSICMARINE1

8. I think one of the other tricks is to use real clay bricks. They will laser better than concrete. We have a brick company in Sturtevant that specializes in memorial bricks and they laser or sand carve them. I do know they only use real natural clay bricks though.

Wil
    Epilog EXT36 60w, Corel 12, Adobe CS3, ArtCAM Pro 2010, Techno LC4896