Thread: PA shagbark hickory

PA shagbark hickory

I got this wood from a friend, and it was almost an OOPS!! I got the bottom VERY thin while reverse turning it, so I put a little "patch" of 3/16" cherry veneer on it to stiffen it up a bit. There's a little CA glue squeezeout, but I don't care too much about it. Boy is hickory HARD! This had been dead for a few years, but still standing, so was quite wet still. No exaggeration, hickory takes about 10X the sanding to really get all the marks out. I went the full series--80,100,120,150,180,220,280,320, and 400 on this one. The wood was quite smooth, and almost as shiny before finishing! It takes a really good polish. I used some CA glue to stiffen up the knot inclusion. The orange-red line through the center is not ringshake, but a natural figure. I used a dental pick to get out the beetle holes--their leftovers were pretty hard, and required some pretty coarse scratching to remove.

Attached Images Attached Images

more pics!

Attached Images Attached Images

Looks great Nathan, very thin.

Bob

Nathan - beautiful work! Great form, lots of charactor and exceptionally thin!

Hate to be a pain - but I have no idea of what size turning I am looking at. Could you post some measurements? Thanks!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Thanks Steve & Bob! Its not as thin as it looks. The piece is 12.5" wide, and just over 1/4" thick, except for the bottom...... But, that's fixed now! Its remarkably heavy for how thin it is, though. Gotta love hickory! Its lost a fair bit of weight in the last week, but its still got some heft to it. I accidentally dropped it, and thought it was all over, but it just kinda went, "THUD", and didn't even put a dent in it. I'm going to give this to the farmers I got the wood from, and ask for some more!

That is really nice. I have a piece of hickory that I want to make almost the exact same thing from for my brother. Haven't tried turning hickory yet and not looking forward to working on a dried piece right from the start.
    Mark Patoka
    Stafford, VA

Great looking piece Nathan. Form and finish look good. Well done.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Hickory gets freakishly harder as it dries. Hickory turned wet is a better experience on the fun scale but still requires twice as much sharpening as you want to do to get the same result in other domestic woods. I gave up on some after it dried. Now I use it for sacrificial chucks but I forget until I try to part the stuff off bottom of my prize piece.