Thread: Bought a Stock Feeder for My Shaper - Where to Mount?

Bought a Stock Feeder for My Shaper - Where to Mount?

I just bought a 1 hp feeder for my 5 hp shaper, and I'm wondering if there is better/standard/usual side (left or right behind the fence) to mount it.

I've always seen them mounted on the left as you face the fence. In my shop it's not in the way as much when mounted that way so that's what I did. I can't see that it would matter as I run the feeder in both directions...joe

I have seen most mounted on the left in the shops I've worked in. Mine is mounted on the right as it works better for me. I read there is some logic to mounting on the right as the feeder is pushing the stock away from itself most of the time causing it to be more rigid, but I have never noticed a performance difference right or left.

I have three different mounting positions for mine depending on the set-up I'm running.

The "standard" location is the left rear corner. But I'm with Lon on this. My shaper table looks like a piece of swiss cheese. I put it where it needs to be for the job at hand.
    David DeCristoforo

I'm sorry fellas but I have to disagree with all of you. I sincerely believe that the best location to mount it would be in MY shop.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

I'm too lazy to move the 132# feeder around . I just make do

Swiss Cheese

I have no hesitation drilling and tapping my cast iron table tops.

My shaper table has the most, what with jigs and weird set-ups bolted all over the place, but my table saw looks just about the same. I mounted the feeder on it also in two or three (can't remember exactly) different spots. I even have threaded holes in my band saw table.

Long as I don't drill through one of the reinforcing webs on the underside, I don't think it matters much how many holes I drill.

Hi Richard, what does the manual for your feeder suggest?

The manual for my feeder (Hammer HC 308) shows the feeder base on the rear left corner of the table, with the cutter between the first and second wheel.

This is for feeding right to left, when standing in front of the shaper, and gives the most uncovered table space to the right side of the feeder (infeed).

When I run my shaper in reverse (feeding left to right) I simply move the feeder down one wheel, so I have one wheel on the infeed side, and two wheels on the outfeed side.

The issue with non reccomended mounting locations is that sometimes you cannot articulate the feeder into the proper position if you have mounted it in a manner not reccomended by the manufacturer. This is normally the case with the feeder wheels axis vertical, when the wheels are against the fence.

Regards, Rod.