Thread: Triton below-table adjust versus lifts, cranks, & other top-side adjusters

Triton below-table adjust versus lifts, cranks, & other top-side adjusters

After using it for a while now, I've found the Triton 3-1/4 HP router's below-table adjustment to be more convenient than any top-side adjuster. There have been a number of threads asking questions about Triton's 3-1/4 HP router versus other router-and-lift solutions. Now that I have a bit more experience with it, here's why I've come to like their solution.

I've been using a P-C 7518 with a Jess-Em Mast-R-Lift in a heavy Woodhaven cabinet as my workhorse for years. I recently added a Triton 3-1/4 HP router in a Sommerfeld table to my shop. I was concerned about the inconvenience of the Triton's under-table height adjustment compared to what I was used to, especially considering the size of the Sommerfeld table, but trusted Marc Sommerfeld's history with the Triton. [The best I can tell, Triton's 2-1/4 HP model has the same coarse+fine adjustment mechanism, plus a top-side crank for the fine adjustment like a Router-Raizer and that of several other brands.].

Conclusion: While it is a bit inconvenient to have to reach under the table to adjust the router height, the combination of the Triton's fast/coarse adjustment plus its fine vernier, and the fact that I don't have to get the crank out (it's in a drawer in the router cabinet -- a minor, yet still extra, step), makes it significantly more convenient to adjust than the Mast-R-Lift. I don't miss the top-side adjustment capability at all.

--Wayne

Wayne,

I have had the Triton 2 1/4 for 6 months or so, and have used the topside crank only a few times. The crank was a major factor in selecting the Triton: however, its just not needed that often. No big deal, I'm quite pleased with the router. Nice little machine!

-Jerry

I have both the older Somerfeld/CMT table with the older Hitachi M12V (not the newer model M12VC), and the newer Sommerfeld table/Triton router setup and have found them both to be very good systems. I am thinking of changing out the Hitachi router for another Triton as it's by far the better router for a table and I could use the same wrench to change bits on both tables. I also have found that the Triton is easier to set the bit height with it (even with the dial set) and it's also a smoother running machine. On a side note, I'm spoiled with having two tables as I can set a bit in one table to make the cut, then step over to the other table to make the second cut with the matching bit in the set. This allows me to get into a groove in working quickly and efficiently without even stopping for that 30 second bit change and that becomes fun for me.