Thread: Scroll saw for marquetry

Scroll saw for marquetry

I am looking for opinions, pluses and minuses for a decent quality scroll saw to be used for marquetry. I really dont want to go high end for a Hegner, but I am guessing that the Dremel is probally on the other end of the scale.
    I will most likely be looking for something used.
    Not sure if I am going to like the marquetry process but I do enjoy inlay, so I am keeping an open mind. I have watched Paul Schurch video a couple of times, and altho I am not going that deep, I would like to accent my furniture with something the big stores dont sell.

Thanks
    Dave
    Mission Furniture- My mission is to build more furniture !

Scroll saw

I am starting down a parallel path. Aren't Pauls videos great! I have a Dewalt saw and used it on my first attempt. It worked well for me. I talked to a few of the guys selling intarsia pictures and they all thought the Dewalt was a decent saw for the price. In the marquetry video Paul said his favorite saw was an old delta with the spring top blade holder. It has a true up and down motion most of the modern saws have a front and back arc in the blade travel. There is the Eclipse saw, which has a true up and down motion. I have no experience with it hough and it costs 3 times what the Dewalt does. I am reading"The Marquetry Course" by Jack Metcalfe and John Apps I think it is pretty good, especially for fans of Chippendale Furniture. Here is a link to my first project. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=81314
    Let us know how you make out with your quest.
    Tom

Using a scroll saw for marquetry is a great way to perfectly mate contrasting woods using the double bevel technique. The saw in the mid range is the Dewalt 788. It was designed for Dewalt by Excalibur, which is a high end saw.

The comments about a true up and down become much more important when you are trying to do fret work than marquetry. The 788 will do your double bevel tasks with ease and it is a joy to use.

If you guys are into marquetry videos you should seriously consider Silas Kopf:

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Techniques-Marquetry-Silas-Kopf/dp/B001B4V69I/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1217440223&sr=8-2
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Silas Kopf

OK Dewey! I took your word for it and I've ordered the video. I hope to do more work and less watching though. BTW What brand, style, and size blades are you using in the Dewalt, for your Marquetry cutting?

or you could build (from wood) your own Chevalet De Marquererie

http://www.customwooddesigns.com/marquetry3.html

http://www.wpatrickedwards.com/EtudeMarq.htm

http://www.handcraftedmarquetry.co.u.../16cropped.jpg

If you have a membership here is a video that shows you pretty much every single thing you need to know to build one. The gimbals the sliders clamps, even the adjustmant mechanism - you name it it's here. The gimbal and slide assembly you can purchase or build from steel shafting and bronze bushings.

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki...e.aspx?id=5239
    Last edited by Cliff Rohrabacher; 07-30-2008 at 4:53 PM.

Scroll Saw

Who says that you need a scroll saw?Just kidding,Paul Schurch uses a chisel.And others uses a exacto knife.I did a high chair w/marquetry using a exacto knife to cut out the piecies.The veneer was only 1/42 thick or thinner.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Carroll Courtney View Post
    Who says that you need a scroll saw?Just kidding,Paul Schurch uses a chisel.And others uses a exacto knife.I did a high chair w/marquetry using a exacto knife to cut out the pieces.The veneer was only 1/42 thick or thinner.
    You are quite right. There are often several means to an end result. I use Scroll Saw, Knife , Chisel, Plane , Sanding block, Table saw, and anything else I think will get results. For me the challenge is to try to pick the most efficient means for a particular type of veneer or cut. Some of the Tropical Hardwoods and some veneers that splinter easily are a devil to cut with a knife. I only have a few marquetry projects under my belt, but I'm learning.
    I like what you made there. Some really good work can be done with simple tools.
    Tom

I bought a Giant Delta scroll saw from the old days a few months ago for $175. It is a beast, but sure is smooth and quiet. Looks great too. But everything I have read say the Dewalt is the price/performance leader if you are going with a newer tool.

Marquetry

Thanks guys!I am also a beginner.The clown and bear was my fourth project using marquetry.Boy, did I waste alot of veneer.I made three clown panels,the third was the best out of three.I do want to try my hand at the more intritace projects,but for now I better stick with the bigger pieces.I like this web site here,has alot of info. www.woodezine.com on marquetry.If anyone wants to sell their dvd's on marquetry,I would be willing to purchase them.Thanks Carroll

Not so easy for me.....

I have done intarsia with some success. My one attempt at marquetry was difficult and frustrating. I was using an exacto knife and the grain of the veneer has a mind of its own. A friend using a Hegner scrollsaw and cuts 5/64th's thickness. His work is outstanding and he has done well in selling. He is a real craftsman though, while I'm a rookie. I have an RBI scrollsaw with a 20" throat. If you get a scrollsaw, get one with the longest throat you can. I'm sorry that I didn't ge the 26" model. My friend has found a used 36" throat that he's getting. I do have a vacuum pump for veneer and am planning on doing more marquetry soon.
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith