Thread: MY SHOP! (w/Lots-O-Pics)

MY SHOP! (w/Lots-O-Pics)

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Garrett View Post
    ....It has finally come time to post some pictures of my workshop....I had been waiting for "the perfect shots" of the shop - when it is clean, organized, full of all the right tools, etc....in lieu of that day ever coming, I have attached what my shop looks like today - not perfect, but mine!......
    ...I couldn't have said it any better, Ed!

After viewing Ed's fine Shop/Barn http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=89156 ...I'd decided that I too was never going to post pics of my shop because it wasn't "just right" (which, I'll tell you it ain't never gonna be "right" )....I wanted to have my cabinets and worktables all nicely painted, a new outfeed table built, and on and on....

I built my shop in '93 and it's gone thru a couple of changes since then....
    It started out a hang out spot (with tools ) when my two boys were young. A place to work on bicycles or whatever...even had a pool table and a ping-pong table at one time!

As my boys grew it became a place for dirt bikes and railbuggys and anything mechanical....

About the time my boys were ready to leave home, and I was tired of greasy hands and tools.....I took up woodworking (most woodworking so far had been construction, framing, building, home repair/improvement) and I started "stockin' up" on woodworking machines, power and hand tools! (I sold high quality woodworking tool and equipment for 7 yrs. so I knew what I wanted and what to look for!)

Even now it's always in a state of change (I'm constantly moving stuff around/making room for new stuff,etc) but I love every minute I'm in my shop....sometimes it's just a place to get away, sometimes I actually get things done but it's always a place to relax and have fun!!

My shop is 20' x 28'

...So, On with the tour.....

We start with a view from the garage door end....
    Shop 1.jpg
    The view from behind the workbench....On the bench is a cheap plywood topped guitar that has a neck separation, I'm going to repair and use as a "beater"....It's in the pics because I posted some pics of my shop and projects on a guitar forum! (Yeah I have to share my shop with John too!)
    Shop 2.jpg
    Shop 4.jpg
    The Other side....(I use to have this bench turned 90 degrees and used it as a bench/outfeed table thats the reason for the miter slots cut in the end....)
    Shop 3.jpg
    My 22-44 Performax drum sander, Bandsaw, Floor drill press, and my small wood stash....
    Shop 5.jpg

Many more pics to follow.....
    Last edited by Mike Langford; 07-31-2008 at 1:41 AM.
    Women are like phones. They love to be held and talked to, but if you press the wrong buttons you'll get disconnected!

Life is one fool thing after another whereas love is two fool things after each other

The Heart of the Shop and my "Pride & Joy"....My 3HP Cabinet Saw....
    Shop 6.jpg
    Power tools and hand tool storage....(Matco box contains mechanic tools and the gray box contains woodworking tools)
    Shop 7.jpg
    More hand tool storage.....
    Shop 8.jpg
    Bench Top Drill Press....
    Shop 9.jpg
    Shop built DUAL Router table (1 1/2HP PC - 3HP Ryobi)
    Shop 10.jpg

More pics coming....
    Women are like phones. They love to be held and talked to, but if you press the wrong buttons you'll get disconnected!

Life is one fool thing after another whereas love is two fool things after each other

Nicely equiped (and organized!) shop. You can obviously make some nice stuff there. I have NEVER seen a dual router table. While I can guess at the purpose, what's your's?
    jack

Nuts,Bolts,Washers,Chargers,Assorted Stuff....
    Shop 11.jpg
    The Door Keeper....
    Shop 12.jpg
    Marlin duplicator copy/carve machine....Once I get this set up properly and make the "Master Templates" I'll be able to rough carve mandolin tops and backs.....
    Shop 13.jpg
    New Hermes pantograph engraver w/hydraulic lift table....
    Shop 14.jpg
    My other air commpressor, small mig, generator, bench grinder (looks like I need a new right side wire wheel! )
    Shop 15.jpg

Still more pic to come...

Harbor Freight Lathe (great tool for the money), DeWalt 12" miter saw, and assorted other "stuff"....
    Shop 16.jpg
    Delta air-scrubber and dust collector piping with blast gates....
    Shop 17.jpg
    And last but not least....Clamps,Clamps,and More Clamps
    Shop 18.jpg
    1/2" Pipe (how do you like my Dawgs?)
    Shop 19.jpg
    3/4" Pipe
    Shop 20.jpg

That's the tour....Hope you enjoyed it!
    Thanks for lookin'

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Langford; 07-30-2008 at 10:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Camillo View Post
    Nicely equiped (and organized!) shop. You can obviously make some nice stuff there. I have NEVER seen a dual router table. While I can guess at the purpose, what's your's?
    jack

My purpose is the table top originally had just the 3HP Ryobi in it (1/2" collet only) but I also had 1/4" shank router bits....So I installed a Porter Cable 690 in the other end....Best of both worlds!!

I was going to built two fences but haven't needed both routers at the same time so I just swap between the two sides.

The inserts are both 9 1/4" x 11 3/4" Woodpecker plates, and I could have just swapped them around in the same hole....but a DUALIE is more convenient

Great looking shop Mike.
    I had the same Speedaire compressor, got 21 years out of it before I gave it to my SIL.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Great Space!

Mike- great tools, great layout, GREAT SPACE! Thanks for posting the pics...I do like seeing how others have organized their shops - I always seem to get new ideas (I took a coiuple of ideas from your workbench vice and lighting set-up....thanks). I also like the story of how the space grew as you and your family grew....

Thanks again for posting the pictures....glad I could be of some "inspiration"!

I like your setup Mike, I'll have to buy a few more pipe clamps to catch up with your collection.

Mike, that's a great shop. Thanks for sharing.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Great pics; but the shop is far too clean!

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Keel View Post
    Great pics; but the shop is far too clean!

I've got some guys who hang around the shop and help keep it clean!
    SV1.jpg SV2.jpg SV3.jpg

Enjoyable post!

Thanks for taking the time to put this together.
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    ....I had the same Speedaire compressor, got 21 years out of it before I gave it to my SIL.
    Yeah, they're real workhorses....I've had mine now for 18 yrs. with no problems....It saw some pretty hard use (impacts, air ratchets, die grinders, etc.) few years ago when my shop was more "automotive" oriented!