Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Made on Epilog II

Made on Epilog II

Guys, I enjoyed the last M o E thread so much here's my next finished model. All the flat parts from walls to shingles and lettering cut on my 35 W Epilog. (you have to click the photo 2x to get the full size & resolution on your monitor) Any other model builders out there with something new to show? Be my guest and post away!

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images

WOW that's a beauty... do you have more views of it.

Kim

Large Dime!

How did you make that dime so big with a laser?

Fantastic stuff Dave, keep it up, shows what can really be done with a laser. Good example!
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Incredible.

You must have good eyes (or glasses) to do such fine, detailed work. Can you tell us about how many hours you spent on it, start to finish?

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Really nice David, Like Kim said, show more views if you have time, how did you do the lettering on top? decals or stamps?

Ben

WOW!

I love the detail. The weathering and the mud on the step... very impressive!
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Epilog Helix 45W, Corel X3, Adobe CS3

Dave, that is a totally AWSOME model!
    Camaster CR410 & Epilog Helix
    Prosperity, is something that business people create.......for politicians to take the credit for.

Hey thanks for the feedback!

Pete, lol!! Hey when they said I could "make big money" on the laser, I believed them. Now I know its only relative!

Joe, yes, you need good eyes for this sort of work. Here's a photo of my good eyes. As for time start to finish, its always tough to say as I do this work between things. I guess about 15 hours drafting and 25 assembling. As usual, a lot of parts didn't quite work on the first try so they had to be done again. Ordinarily I'd just make 'em fit, but the design might go to commercial kit production, so fit has to be precise.

Ben the lettering is a stencil, I engraved some peel n stick label material, stuck it on, sprayed thru it and peeled it off. I got the font from Dafont.com they've got great historical stuff there! Font flexibility for model work is, in my opinion, one of most awesome things about the laser!

The model has a partial interior, here's a photo of the furniture which I made from scrap from other laser projects. Can hardly see it now that the roof is on, but it keeps it from looking empty.

The busted window glass I made by hand, but I think I'll try lasering an elaborately shattered window next time.

Dave

10. Dave,
    Quite the job!!!
    Is this a model of an existing building, or did you come up with the design also?

When I've been out and about and see a neat old building I try to take photos of all four sides so when I get a chance to "play" I can try to make something. Any tips for the aspiring artist?

Seeing such cool work makes me want to stop what I'm doing and have fun. Then reality sets in!

Do you sell any other designs as kits?

Marty

Thumbs up

Hard to believe what I was seeing! That's museum quality work to say the least. Simply OUTSTANDING!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Simmons View Post
    How did you make that dime so big with a laser?
    It's some sort of plastic, the kind that accepts zinc plating. If you look at the near edge you can see a small holiday in the metal surface. Nice job hiding all of those seems. How many pieces? Have you ever done a quarter that size?

Looks like zinc... maybe a nickel alloy???
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Hey Mitchell, nah its a real dime, I just soaked it in Miracle Grow. You should see the tomatoes this year!

Marty, the structure was built from plans of an actual building. I wish I were qualified to give artist advice. But for model building I'd say your most valuable asset is time, so time management skill is as useful as any manual skill. I'm still learning how to budget my time, and its not easy. Anybody know of any good instructional books on the subject??

Next I'd say choose something relatively simple and just get going! You may not think so, but you already have everything you need.

Also, keep in mind that frustration is probably the #1 project killer, and its totally unnecessary! For every problem, there is a solution. One of the greatest joys in any creative activity is finding "The Elegant Solution" -- a simple answer to a complicated problem. For me the great thing about the laser engraver is its a versatile problem solver.

Didn't use the laser to make the hanging oil lamp, but it was this project's Elegant Solution-- clear sprue, half a craft bead and a strand of copper wire.

Dave
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (14.1 KB, 115 views)
    Last edited by David Fairfield; 08-01-2008 at 5:26 PM. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by David Fairfield View Post
    Hey Mitchell, nah its a real dime, I just soaked it Miracle Grow.
    Back in the early '80s, the aerospace company I was working for was always doing publicity pictures of miniature circuit boards with coins or ballpoint pens next to them for scale. At one contract award party, we presented the boss with a 6' fiberglass pen (some kind of promotional display from the Cross pen people) and a welded-up sheet-metal quarter the size of a trashcan lid.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

That is simply amazing. Every time I see something like this, I inch closer to my wallet for a CO2 laser. I love our FiberMark laser, but you can only do so much with it