Thread: waterborne clear finishes

waterborne clear finishes

In the past when it came to finishes I always farmed out the finishing but I got some projects coming my way which will require me to do the finishing my self, this projects include book cases, tv stands and media/entertainment centers and maybe a vanity, most of which will most likely be stain grade with one or two paint grade.

Since I am a complete finish noob I have been experimenting with oil base stains, sanding sealers, clear top coats and paints with good results (sprayed paint and clear coats). The problem with the oil stuff is that it is messy and it takes a while to dry so to day I went and got a quart of Deft water base semi-gloss clear finish. The results were good enough for me to schedule some if not most of my finishing with water based clears although I don't want to stick to Deft just because of the good results I got with the little limited I have done with it so far.

Since the bulk of the finishing technincs i learned so far are related to oil base stains and clears I have so far no preference for waterborne stains or clears so I would like to know what is the general consensus here as far as waterborne finishes are concerned, I would mainly like to know what fellow creekers prefer in brands and different types of water base finishes.

Thanks in advanced.

There are a number of waterborne finishes that are formulated specifically for spray application. Target USL is one of these that gets favorable comments. It is also available tinted, making it a good choice for paint grade work. Fuhr also makes some well respected products.

A good source is www.homesteadfinishing.com which is Jeff Jewitt's operation.

I just started using Target Coatings products recently. So far, I've sprayed their HSF5100, EM8800 and EM8000cv. I'm still in a bit of a test/learn mode but have been very satisfied with what I'm seeing. I sprayed the HSF5100 and EM8000cv straight out of the can with good results. I added about 5% SA5 reducer to the EM8800 sealer to ensure good leveling because it was a hot day. Target has a forum on which you can address any questions to their expert, Jeff Weiss.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

Most of the better waterborne finishes are intended for spraying. There are some consumer brands you will find in your local big box that are intended for brushing but these too, are sprayed by many.

There are a number of manufacturers of waterborne finishes. Most are somewhat different. It's a very rapidly changing technology with some waterbornes approaching oil based finishes for durability. In general, waterborne clear finishes are about the same as NC lacquer for durability. Like NC lacquer, they are attached by some chemicals that oil based finishes are immune to. Used for many applications, they can be very good.
    Howie.........

I'm a believer. Water borne finishes are quite good these days and they offer "a lot to like", especially for the hobbyist woodworker who does not have nor can afford to put in a formal spray booth that offers the features necessary to spray solvent based finishes safely.

I have used water borne finishes from Target Coatings and Fuhr International and occasionally use Minwax Polycrylic when "fast availability" is required. Target Coatings USL is my "standard" clear finish when I want to go beyond shellac.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for the info guys. I'll get on the horn with Target tomorrow morning.