Thread: New to lacquer and finishing in general

New to lacquer and finishing in general

The other day I had a horrible experience spraying lacquer. It was my first experience. I started with a sand and seal lacquer thinned down. I have a small garage shop and spraying inside I do not beleive to be safe. So I sprayed in my drive way with a nice breeze. The problem is when the lacquer got to the surface it appeared to be fine particles of white dust. Running my finger over it I found it to be in fact some sort of white dust. I concluded that the lacquer was actually drying before it was hitting the board. I did not use any retarder and I live in hot San Antonio. My next attempt will be in a day or so. I hope retarder corrects this issue. Any comments.

Also, I read a lot about water based finishes and even looked at Target finishes but they seem to be spendy. I guess the finish is not the place to pinch pennys but I seem to shop things out thoroughly before buying. Lacquer appears very reasonably priced compared to target finishings. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jerry

Yes. I was drying before it hit the board.
    I suggest spraying inside or under cover from the sun.
    Retarder will help when the temp is very hot

And....

...you may want to use a slow thinner in this heat.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

There is really no reason you need to add thinner in the first place. I always spray it just like it comes out of the can. Don't be too concerned about the presence of the whiteies on your project, the next coat will reactivate the lacquer and they will disappear.

Ed

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.

Too much air pressure

and not enough fluid flow?
    The higher air pressure will atomize it more than it should and quicken the drying and thus....lacquer dust.
    I generally used about 40 lbs of pressure sometimes up to about 45, but thats about it. Everyone adjusts their gun slightly differently.
    If your gun is adjusted properly, you should however, get a nice wet coat (not flooded) from about 10" away.

Tony B

2% -3% pure gum turpintine will slow the drying of NC lacquer a bit. Retarder will work as well or better.

What you have achieved is know as "dry shoot" coat. As others have said it will melt with the next coat and actually help prevent runs and sags.

Scott

Target Coatings USL

I have been using Target coatings waterbased lacquer a great deal lately and cant speak highly enough of it. It lays down nice and smooth and dries very quickly. Up here in Maine I can get a gallon of USL for a little over $40, by the gallon its actually cheaper than Minwax watebased. I am hooked on the stuff and use it whenever applicable. I strongly suggest giving it a try you will not be disappointed.
    Mike

I have to agree with Mike. I am new to finishing in general also, I never really sprayed any finishes in the past and I absolutely love Target Coatings USL. It sprays very nicely indeed.

You should definitely give it a try.

Thanks for all the advice. I will turn down the air pressure, it sneaks up on me sometimes. I am also going to try out the target finishes because I only hear good about them. Thanks

Jerry

Probably not the problem you're having, but when I tried to apply Deft lacquer in direct, albeit low, sunlight, it immediately bubbled up like crazy as a film was forming too quickly on the surface and the outgassing happening underneath was blowing bubbles. If you are in more intense sunlight in an even hotter and drier environment than I was (Philly in the spring), then maybe yours is just becoming film before it hits.

Actually, I guess I'm not really adding anything here, now that I look at it, that's pretty much what everyone else is suggesting.
    "50% of woodworking is hiding your mistakes ... the other 50% is not pointing them out"