Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oneida Remote

Oneida Remote

This seems like a pretty simple remote two buttons on off dang thing is over $40 for me to get a extra. Anyone else find any other remote that works with this I was going to retrofit another system on to it but it has a megitic switch.
    -=Jason=-

Jason,

I see you haven't gotten any replies. I have the 3HP Super Gorilla and purchased the remote with the unit.

I still have the Long Ranger III from my previous duct collector. I was not sure it would operate with the Onieda without changing the switch. I figured I had spent plenty to get the unit I wanted so I got the factory equipment.

I like the remote. It's the size of a key chain. I just put it on a 2 foot wire "S" hook and hang it from one of the trussed, where ever I need it.

Sorry I can't give a better reason.

Jim

I can't help you, but agree with your complaint.
    I didn't even want the remote; I was used to using a switch I put in on the circuit, but it won't work with the magnetic switch; (well, it will shut it off, but then you can't turn it on again) but there seems no obvious way to defeat it.

They run promotions from time to time in which they include the remote for free. That's how I got mine, on a 2HP unit, about a year ago. No idea whether they'll negotiate with you, but it can't hurt to ask them to throw it in to clinch the deal. I love the remote--I clip it to my belt loop when I walk into the shop and hang it on a nail by the door when I leave. Works great.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Clemans View Post
    I love the remote--I clip it to my belt loop when I walk into the shop and hang it on a nail by the door when I leave. Works great.
    That is exactly what I do! Works great - except when I forget to hang it back up.

On the other hand, I wired my circuit for the installation of the DC, and can understand how it could be a problem if there was an inline switch in the circuit.

Every time I read another post about remotes for the DC, I chuckle. I have yet to misplace, or have to replace the batteries in the current sensor in my panel box. When I taught school, I had a shop with over 4000 sq ft in it, and only one place to turn on DC. What a PITA. I swore this would never happen in my shop. Turn em on, DC comes on. Turn em off, and ten seconds later DC shuts off. What a pleasure. Original plans were in FWW, Aug 2000. I added a delay on break time to allow for dust to be cleared from pipes. Total costs for parts was about $100.

I've used the heavy-duty 220 V X-10 switch with radio-controlled remote for my dust collector for years and have been very happy with it. Since it has a built-in magnetic switch (i.e., it does not come on after a power failure), the manual magnetic switch can be removed or bypassed. It's in the same price category as the Oneida remote you mention (or slightly more), but it has the flexibility to control other appliances, as well (I use it to operate the flood lights between the house and shop, as well as a myriad of things in the house).
    220V remote control receptacle: http://www.smarthome.com/2021.html
    Keychain remote: http://www.smarthome.com/4003.html
    8-device remote: http://www.smarthome.com/4000.html
    It's pretty simple to add an external control to a magnetic switch, but it requires two sets of contacts -- a normally-open contact for "on" and a normally-closed contact for "off". I did this to wire a manual jumbo safety switch for my table saw. For a remote control, it would either require a specialized control like the one you're looking at, or a pretty flexible general-purpose remote (e.g., you could do it with two channels of an X-10 system).

(FWIW, some people have reported reliability problems with X-10 hardware. My 220 V remote switch has been very reliable; but I, too, have experienced reliability issues with some of the simple X-10 lamp dimmer modules. There are newer, more reliable products at a higher cost -- e.g., Insteon, etc.)

I'm one of the folks that did have bad luck with the HD X-10 stuff for dust collection...burned out several of them. Hence, I went with a contactor for the switching and a conveniently located remote switch in the shop. It's easy to use a "dollar store" remote switch with this setup, too, if you want a carry-around remote. (I don't miss the fob in any way at this point)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

When I bought my Gorilla, they threw in the remote for $10. Should have bought more than one.

Rick Potter

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Works great - except when I forget to hang it back up.
    Ah yes, how often I find the fob attached to my pants long after I have left the shop ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Pardon the almost year-old hijacking of this thread. I have a 2.5hp high efficiency oneida. I finally got my dust collection ducting up. It started great a few times, but now it seems random as to whether the remote will work at all. Sometimes it does. Sometimes it doesn't. And when it doesn't, no matter how many times I jam the button or how close I am to the cyclone, it doesn't make a difference. The light on the remote comes on, but that's it. 30 minutes later I will try it and it will work. Quite weird. I would think battery except I would then expect distance to cyclone would matter, and it doesn't appear to. Off functions the same way from what I can tell (I try not to start the cyclone so I can test off on the remote)

Thoughts? Warranty call I guess is the obvious option.

I have the 2 1/2 HP Oneida. I got it with the remote, cost $77. I think it was worth every penny. It is integrated within the magnetic starter box. I hang the remote off my jointer which is in the center of my machine collection. When I need my shapers I just have to take a few steps and push the button on the Magnetic Starter. Using the remote that comes with the system keeps the protection that the magnetic starter provides.

My dust collector is in a dofferent room seprated by concreat remote doens't even go through I have to go into that roon or close to it to turn it on or off. what a pain in the ...

But I do need more remotes still searching may just break down and bu a couple.
    -=Jason=-

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jason lambert View Post
    I have to go into that roon or close to it to turn it on or off. what a pain in the ...

But I do need more remotes still searching may just break down and bu a couple.
    There are a few different remote control extenders; RF and IR. A common use is for entertainment units but there are variations. they are way overpriced in my book. Have you considered mounting the switchbox/receiver on the shop side of the wall and running power cables through to the unit.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

no I haven't re mounting the box may be a good solution.
    -=Jason=-