Thread: jointer vs planer

jointer vs planer

I've found that my DW735 produces a much nicer finish with less tearout than my brand new X5 6" jointer (I only joint 1/32" per pass). My dimensioning process now includes a final pass of the jointed surfaces on the thickness planer to get a better surface.

I'm new to jointers, is this common or should I be taking a closer look at my jointer setup?

Evan,

I think your experience isn't at all unusual; I've never found that the surface produced by face jointing (on a jointer) is as good as a what you'd get from a planer so it's always necessary to run both sides through the planer. Face jointing gets you a flat reference surface but not necessarily a finished surface.

My planer uses the same cutter as my jointer, (Hammer) and the finish is the same whether I'm planing or jointing.

When I had seperate jointer/planer machines, the jointer performance was as good as the planer if I took the time to use consistent feed rates and pressure with the jointer.

regards, Rod.

Blog Entries
    Mine are about the same. Both require just a touch with a scraper or a sanding block if I am clear coating. Otherwise, it is moot as I sand all surfaces up to 220 (or higher on occasion) to get a consistent absorption of finish but, that's just me. YMMV.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I guess jointers have improved since my last one was made (ca. 1957).

My planer usually gives better finish then my jointer. Clifford

What is wrong with the results from the jointer?
    Off hand I would say you are doing something wrong as even my old crappy jointer gave results as good as my DW735; but it is hard to say without knowing what you feel is wrong.
    Not that there is anything wrong with the DW735 finish, just that the jointer was as good.

(probably not fair to compare it to my new spiral head...)

It's much more likely to be a matter of proper setup, blade condition, even pressure, and feedrate than it is one machine giving a better surface than another. Most hobbyists own a benchtop planer that has reversible indexed knives, while most jointers require some blade height adjustment. Jointers also involve more technique than planers. Even if it's a matter of one machine having 3 knives and the other having two, feedrate ultimately determines the cuts per inch.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Feed rate and pressure are the main differences. Most planers have a power feed and mechanical pressure - while the average jointer has the wood pushed through manually. I certainly have never pushed a piece across my jointer as slowly as the feed on my planer.
    Of course, I dont consider these finished surfaces. They will either get hand planed or sanded before a finish is applied.
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

I agree with Mike. My final pass on the jointer, edge or face, is with a very slow feed rate. The cuts per inch is what gives the nice smooth surface. Also I'm extra careful to hold the wood firmly to keep it from rising. That will definitely give a rough finish.

David