Thread: Brad Point Drill bit set recommendations

Brad Point Drill bit set recommendations

Wondering if anyone has recommendations, preferably from experience, for "the best" brad point drill bit set?
    I've looked at Grizzly, Rockler, Woodcraft, etc. Rockler's, on their web site, has gotten good reviews for a fairly reasonably priced set. But thought I'd ask you guys! Thanks.
    I am both an Architect & Woodworker .......
    As Architect, I don't make mistakes .... I plant vines;
    As Woodworker, I don't make mistakes .... I "meant" it to be that way;
    Then there are some of my clients that are Doctors ...... they get to bury their mistakes.

Brad point bits

Have not bought yet, but high on the list, is a set from Lee Valley. The brad points are machined a little differently so that they actually shear the wood fibers as the bit is lowered. My cheap sets are sometimes rough around the edges.

GR

I agree with Gary. The Lee Valley bits are outstanding. Well worth the money. I use these as my "woodworking only, drill press only" bits and keep a set of Dewalts for all of the rough work.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Kinn View Post
    I agree with Gary. The Lee Valley bits are outstanding. Well worth the money. I use these as my "woodworking only, drill press only" bits and keep a set of Dewalts for all of the rough work.
    I do the exact same thing. The Lee Valley set is great. I remember reading a review in FWW a while back that compared the Brad points and IIRC the Lee Valley bits came out on top.

I am still using a set of Forest City brad point bits I bought from Highland ~20 years ago. Not cheap, but well made and durable. http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/i...OD&ProdID=3522

BobV

Blog Entries
    I did a search on this a few months ago. The overwhelming recommendation was Lee Valley. I picked some up at the show when it came around. They are some of the best I have ever tried. Especially in the smaller sizes; other quality bits seem to go so-so on the 3/16" and down bits. I used a 9/64" yesterday and the hole entry was perfect (stopped hole). Quite impressive although not inexpensive.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Yet another vote for Lee Valley's set.

From what I've been able to gather, these might be Fuller brad point bits that are reshaped by Lee Valley, which might explain the price.

If you are having a hard time justifying the price on the Lee Valley brad points, the way I see it, you'll find plenty of discussion talking about how not to skimp on blade quality for your bandsaw, table saw, or hand plane. This is the drill press equivalent.

I would go with a quality set. American made should be in that catagory. I got a cheap harbor Freight set and they are rarely used because they aren't straight, ground right, nor of consistant size or temper. Ditto on the cheap 'forstener' type bits. I find the cheap ones clog up easy.

+1 Lee Valley

I've been very happy with the brad point bits from Lee Valley -- clean cuts, straight and true.