Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cordless drill match-up: Makita vs. Milwaukee

You forgot Metabo for drills that begin with the letter "M".

I agree with Jim completely. I have a little Hitachi 12v along with 15.5 and 18v Metabos. The Hitachi is the one I always seem to build things with, also the battery doesn't protrude forward which I find easier to maneuver.

But if you just want an answer to your question I personally prefer the Milwaukee. I had one of those for years and again I like it too because you can flip the battery around backwards which makes it easier to maneuver in some situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Broestler View Post
    I was originally going to get the Panasonic, but by what I've read and heard, the Li-Ion batteries are better than the NMH, and the Pany doesn't have a bit holder, which is something I really like. Any idea how the two battery types compare?
    Jim,

On the NMH drills, there is a place to store a driver tip under the battery. It's not much, but since we usually use magnetic bit holders, insty-bits, quad-drives and the like, I've never missed a bit holder. I'm sure you could find an aftermarket holder that would probably be more effective/versatile than the on-board storage on some other drills.

As somebody mentioned, Panasonic is one of the few companies that makes their own batteries. Whether those batteries are NMH or Li-ion, I think you can expect them to be among the best available.

We have 8-PANY 15.6v NMHs, the oldest are ~10 years, the newest 1. I've replaced a couple chucks and a couple switches over the years, but we've recycled fewer than ten batteries in that time and we haven't had a single terminal failure. These drills are used/abused daily in an educational shop environment, but they are rarely used to drive deck screws all day long.

Since the NMHs work for us and we have a few of them, I doubt I'll replace them unless I have to.

I've handled Pany's Li-ion, its a 3.5lbs vs 4.8 which would be nice, the ergonomics are similar to their NMH drills (THE BEST afaic). Mak and Mil and Met are close. I find most Dewalt's and PC's to be very uncomfortable to use. I cannot fathom why the Rigid drills weigh 2x more than comparables from other brands. We have 6 old 12v Hitachi's which have been pretty goo, but the 18V Li-ion I bought last year was worthless and went back to the Borg it came from.

I recently got a couple of Milwaukee's compact 12v Li-ion drivers and so far I'm quite impressed, for ~$100, I might get a couple more.

$355 for the Pany 14.4 Li-ion drill/impact kit is not a bad deal.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-EYC1...8247405&sr=1-6

NMH
    Product Description

This model features the longest running 3.5 Amp Ni-Mh batteries in the industry, compared to other 18 Volt tools. The drill/driver weighs only 4.8 pounds but delivers 390 in./lbs. of torque. Max. Torque (in.-lbs.): 390, Volts: 15.6, Chuck Size (in.): 1/2, Keyless Chuck: Yes, Clutch Settings: 18, Reversible: Yes, Variable Speed: Yes, Side Handle: No, Battery Amp/Hour: 3.5Ah, Battery Included: Yes, (2) 3.5Ah Ni-MH batteries, Charger Included: Yes, 55-minute charger, Case Included: Yes, Tool Weight (lbs.): 4.8

Li-ion
    From the Manufacturer

Panasonic 14.4V Li-ion Drill Driver Kit with Light. Panasonic's EY7440LN2L 14.4V Li-ion Drill Driver Kit is strong, fast, light and comfortable. The EY7440LN2L delivers 390 in.lbs power along with high speed resulting in greater efficiency for faster work for all of your drilling and fasening needs. It's lightweigh of 3.5lbs, compact style reduce fatigue, while its 14.4V 3.0ah Li-ion battery deliverys the run time needed to complete the days work. The EY7440LN2L 3.0Ah Li-ion battery pack is equipt with an "electronic performance monitoring system." The electronic performance monitoring system monitors each cell in the battery pack during use and also during charging to prevent overdischarging and overheating. The EY7440LN2L kit includes: 14.4V Drill Driver, 14.4V Light, 2 - 3.0Ah Li-ion battery packs, 1 universal charger, 1 carry case.
    Last edited by Kevin Groenke; 08-08-2008 at 9:05 PM.

Okay, so I went a completely different direction and got a Panasonic 12 volt drill/driver.

Didn't want a lot of torque, so that knocked out all the 18 volt drills. I use my cordless almost entirely for driving screws, so I don't need all that power.

Didn't like the fine print on the Ridgid, so that was out.

When it's all said and done, I just couldn't deny that the Panasonic is pretty highly recommended and seems to have stood the test of time. I decided against the Li-Ion battery option after a pretty in-depth review on Amazon that got into an issue these things apparently have regarding permanent power loss, and Pany has a really good rep for their batteries anyway.

Thanks for all the advice anyway. The options with cordless drills are so many, it's easy to find oneself bouncing between eight to ten different makes and models in a pretty short amount of time. At some point I figure you just gotta leap.

I've noticed quite a few Milwaukee products made in China, another good name going down hill. Steve

Thanks for asking the question. And thanks for the replies. Both my Dewalt 14.4 drills are giving up the ghost. All four batteries that is. So if I have to buy all those batteries AGAIN. I think I will just replace the whole kit.

I think you'll be happy. Panasonic DOES get really high marks for their batteries.

Before you buy any drill, check the price for a replacement battery. On some models, a replacement battery costs almost as much as a new drill.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bontz View Post
    Thanks for asking the question. And thanks for the replies. Both my Dewalt 14.4 drills are giving up the ghost. All four batteries that is. So if I have to buy all those batteries AGAIN. I think I will just replace the whole kit.
    Ron, I recently rebuilt the battery packs for my Dewalt 14.4 with a kit from Jason Able. Good as new for a fraction of the cost of buying new batteries.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hello,
    Both my Dewalt 14.4 drills are giving up the ghost. All four batteries that is. So if I have to buy all those batteries AGAIN.
    If it's just the batteries and you want to "upgrade" to Li-Ion, I believe all DeWalt NiCad tools can use the Li-Ion batteries.

I know the 18V NiCad ones I bought last fall can use the Li-Ion batteries, but a new charger is required.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

I have both Makita and Milwaukee drills. I always seem to go for the Makita first. Feels better in my hand and is a little bit lighter. Battery charges last about the same, very good. Makita has the LED. Milwaukee may have a little more torque......may. I like them both but if I could only have one, Makita.

Dar