Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Curly Cherry Shaker Cabinet

Curly Cherry Shaker Cabinet

It's been quite awhile since I've built anything let alone post anything here. So it's a joy to get back into the shop and SMC.

I had some nice lumber laying around and I have always wanted to build the Enfield Cabinet, so here is my version - my simplified version of a simple Shaker piece.

The original has molding around the top, but I decided to join the sides with hand cut dovetail and ended up liking the look of the exposed end grain. I opted not to put the bead on the edge as well. The original had an exposed door latch, but I ended up recessing the spinner/latch inside the door. My normal method of turning knobs is to put an order in to Jim Becker, but I decided to man-up and make my own for this one.

I chamfered the back panel to give a bit of a shadow line which I think looks nice as well... not that anyone is going to ever see that. After all was done, I applied a coat of BLO and sprayed it with some pre-cat lacquer (MacLac F252 80 series)

What makes this project so special for me was that my 9 year old son was a huge help. I told him that if he stuck with me and saw this through to the end that I'd let him put his signature on it. Sure enough, he did a ton of sanding. He helped me fit the door - you know, the on/off/trim x's 10 (is it just me?). And after a lesson or two, he sprayed the shelves all by himself. So he got his name on it right next to his dads! Truth be told, I think he was more impressed with the thumbs up he got from his mother, but it was pretty cool to see him put his mark on the piece and take accountability for his labor.
    Attached Images Attached Images

More? I know, I know. I'm a bit bandwidth obnoxious.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Okay...Jason is back! This Bew-Tee-Full. Doubt that Jim feels too bad about being fired. Love the latch.
    Last edited by Glenn Clabo; 08-07-2008 at 5:32 AM.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Simply outstanding Jason...and son! I really love this piece in itself an how it looks in your home. Not only are you a wonderful maker, you're skill with photography is also noteworthy.

And no, no disappointment here with not being asked to supply a knob. I still haven't had time to do the knobs for our night stands and we've been using them (sans drawer access) for months now. LOL My lathe is somewhere in the shop under a big roll of cherry veneer....I think...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jason,

Shaker usually is not my taste, however, that cabinet is striking. The workmanship is crisp and tight, and the wood and finish are able to stand out. Nice work. And nice photos, Jim is right about that.

Why have you not been building lately? Day job getting in the way (that's my excuse)? Cal

Alright Jason, nice choice of modifications on the design/ deviations form the original. I too, like the latch.
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Super work. Did you have to mailorder the curly cherry?

Up to your usual standard of work Jason which is amazing. All of the elements are dead on. Design, wood choice, and certainly craftsmanship.
    To echo Jim your ability to bring to life your work with a camera is very good.
    Nice work with the boy as well. It will pay in spades later on.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

I'm a big fan of Jason for many reasons...and I want to share his website...
    http://www.makerofshaker.com/Home.html
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Cal: Don't hate on the Shakers Seriously, it's a special comment to make when the style itself is not your favorite. Thanks for the encouragement. Morning/noon/night job is as a minister. The church keeps me hopping sometimes.

Jack: The place that I get my wood in Fresno doesn't pull out the curly stuff, so if I'm willing to dig, it usually pays off. If you got to my site, check out the wood on the wine cabinet. I paid the normal cost of somewhere between $5-$6 for that. I had to dig deep for that one, but it was totally worth it. I have to say, I'm very blessed to have access to this kind of wood.

Photos: Yea, I have a good time with that as well. Just a kid at heart.

Glen: Thanks! I had a blast fooling around with iWeb when I got my Mac. That was the result. It's kind of the family site (imagine that with the url?), so don't mind all the proud parent pictures.

Extremely unique with the grain transforming from simple design as Shaker is to "look at me.. aren't I handsome indeed".

Well done by the Tuinstra boys around the house-hold....

Regards...

Sarge..

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Clabo View Post
    I'm a big fan of Jason for many reasons...and I want to share his website...
    http://www.makerofshaker.com/Home.html

Oh, man....now we have to add extraordinary web design to his resume, too...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I had the same thought. It's fantastic.

Wow, that is absolutely stunning! As is all of your work on the website (thanks for the link Glenn). I am in awe
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Jason, your usual high quality and level of craftmanship. I always respect your attention to detail i.e., the DT's, choice of wood, the latch, etc Having your son help you on this is an even more valuable experience..Glad you're back. We missed you. P.S. Like your website
    Jerry