Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Curly Cherry Shaker Cabinet

Jason,

Thanks for posting again. I just love your work and was wondering when we would see something else from you. I've had this cabinet on my project list ever since it was featured by Schwarz in Woodworking magazine. I really like your version!! ...as usual your detail work in such things as the handle and the rear of the cabinet really set it apart.

Can't let my wife see this post, or your website for that matter

Jim in Idaho

Jason,
    What a wonderful project to do with your son. He will remember it forever. Super job with the curly cherry.

Rick
    There are two theories to arguing with a woman... neither works.

Jason another great piece, hopefully you can find the time to keep them coming along - now you have the apprentice up to speed too, Well done.
    Those proces are mind boggling though - you don't want to know what we have to pay for cherry over here!

Cheers.
    Last edited by Brett CoughlanAus; 09-01-2008 at 5:12 AM.

Thanks Brett. I was just in your neck of the woods/outback We have friends who live on the North Island of NZ (Masterton). I've learned that I'd have to give up cherry if I lived in NZ. They have some nice wood, but I haven't seen anything with any real width to it. Granted, I haven't looked very hard, but I would certainly miss the North American domestics. What do you normally work with?

Blog Entries

Thumbs up sweet Shaker...

Hi Jason,
    Beautiful wood, and your usual beautiful work.
    Your handcut DT's are awesome. I like the decision not to cover them!
    Such a gorgeous piece, and true to the tradition.
    Cool that you did the knobs yourself...
    Thanks for sharing it with us!

It's heartwarming that your son is getting involved too...
    be well,
    Walt
    There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going! WCC

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss

Crohn's takes guts. WCC

Jason, that's a wonderful cabinet. Your craftsmanship and design are exquisite. T took the time to view the pictures of your work on your website. Your work is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Tuinstra View Post
    ...After all was done, I applied a coat of BLO and sprayed it with some pre-cat lacquer (MacLac F252 80 series)

Thanks for that information. I've done the same with cherry and liked the result.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Tuinstra View Post
    Jack: The place that I get my wood in Fresno doesn't pull out the curly stuff, so if I'm willing to dig, it usually pays off. If you got to my site, check out the wood on the wine cabinet. I paid the normal cost of somewhere between $5-$6 for that. I had to dig deep for that one, but it was totally worth it. I have to say, I'm very blessed to have access to this kind of wood.
    Wow!! That's a great price for curly cherry in California. In Southern California I've paid almost $20 a bd./ft. for wood like that.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the reply. Masterton, never been there but myself and the wife are trying to get to NZ for hols soon.

Normally I would work with woods like River Redgum, Tasmanian Blackwood (bowl on my avatar), Tasmanian Oak, Myrtle, Rosewood and then there's the desert hardwoods....

Here's a pic of some Redgum on my unfinished dining table (boards just laid out). Of course when I get time I've sourced enough US Cherry to have a go at a shaker tin cabinet - inspired by your pic in FWW a while ago

Cheers.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice

Very NICE Jason. Keep 'em coming!

If you think there is good in everybody, you haven't met everybody.

Thanks everyone for the kind words!

Brett: That's some sweet looking lumber! Those rays are really going to pop once you get a finish on that. I never went to a lumber store in NZ, but I just can't imagine you can get wood like that too readily. If you ever go to the North Island and get in the region of Masterton, you'll have to stop at my friends bakery/cafe'. He's the national champion baker two years running. We stayed with them for two weeks and I gained close to a stone while I was there! Fantastic food.

And have fun with the Tin Cabinet. I gave mine to a friend and totally miss having it around. It's a great project.

Can't go wrong with curly cherry. I know that years in the future you won't have to worry about your son getting rid of this piece. You are both craftsmen of distinction.

Outstanding execution, as usual, Jason. I'm glad I saw this post now...can't believe I missed it originally.

Mark

Fantastic piece Jason - very well done as usual. I am also very happy to see you posting stuff again.

Well done Jason. That is a very striking cabinet. A lot of presence in it's appearance.

Nice work but then all of your work is.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Jason,

Beautiful.....your son did a terrific job!!!

Love the concealed latch (good idea) and the back (another good idea). Is that the LV bit in action again?

Good stuff as usual......well, superb as usual!

Jason,

Sorry to hijack the thread, I was looking at the figured cherry table on your web site. The front looks to be made from one board. but it has two drawers cut out. I can't see any discontinuity in the grain where you might have made cuts and then rejoined the pieces. So how did you cut out the drawer fronts?

Thx
    David