Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Curly Cherry Shaker Cabinet

Excellent project, Jason, especially since your son was able to sign on. Your website is excellent, also - great photography and organization. Thanks again.

Beautiful work as always, Jason. Good to see you posting again.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Roy: Good to hear from you again. Is the school still keeping your wood shop busy? Yep, the bit I used is the one from LV. I see of late that a number of companies are coming out with their own version though.

David: I think you're referring to the leather panel desk, right? Yea, what I did was cut a strip off the top and a strip off the bottom, cut the drawer faces out and then laminated the piece of wood back together making sure that the grain matched up again. Then I planed the pieces, making sure that I planed the same amount off each face of the stretcher and the drawer faces. Make sense? I did the same thing with bottom of the cubby for the power strip. I attached a pic of the glue up.

Everyone: Thanks again for the kind comments!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wonderful work Jason. I just discovered your website and spent quite a bit of time there last night.

Heirlooms and something to be very proud of.

Steve Bolton

Simply gorgous. Would you care to post a close up of the panels in the door? where they fit into the rails and styles? I'd like to see that up close.

Door fitting multiple times? Yeah, I'm in the same boat! But then if we all made every door, rail, style, back, side, top bottom exactly the right way every time, we'd all be employed in Sweden making pine furniture (and melamine) with weird design names like, "APREGE" or "KROLTA" or "TODZAM".

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Tuinstra View Post
    David: I think you're referring to the leather panel desk, right? Yea, what I did was cut a strip off the top and a strip off the bottom, cut the drawer faces out and then laminated the piece of wood back together making sure that the grain matched up again. Then I planed the pieces, making sure that I planed the same amount off each face of the stretcher and the drawer faces. Make sense? I did the same thing with bottom of the cubby for the power strip. I attached a pic of the glue up.
    I thought that's how you must have done it, but in the pics I can't see any discontinuity in the grain at all. And it's a strongly pronounced grain too. Well done!

Is that a power cord exiting through the base of one leg? It seems like a great way to route the power cords, but I wonder about the strength of the leg, particularly near the base. I guess it works. Do you have any thoughts on that?

When I grow up, or at least get done with my list of, say 30 pending projects, I'm going to make a computer desk for myself. I'm going to shamelessly steal your ideas, so thanks in advance. Until then, I'm using an old, maple kitchen table, sigh.

Thanks for the info! And thanks for sharing your great work.
    David
    Last edited by david kramer; 09-12-2008 at 12:14 AM.

Blog Entries
    Jason that's an exquisite job. It'll make a wonderful heirloom for generations to come. Fine work.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Patrick: I'm out of town right now but as soon as I get back I can get a photo off to you. Thanks for your kind words as well.

David: I have had no problem with the leg on the leather top desk at all. I have some pictures of how I did that back at home that I can post when I get back if you're interested.

Everyone: thanks again for the encouragement.

Jason, nice work, would have never thought to use curly cherry for a shaker piece.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you purchase the curly cherry? I have a upcoming project in mind, where the primary wood is curly cherry?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Tuinstra View Post

David: I have had no problem with the leg on the leather top desk at all. I have some pictures of how I did that back at home that I can post when I get back if you're interested.
    Definitely! If you have the time.

Robert, there is a supplier here in Fresno (Higgins Hardwoods) that I get my cherry from. I just pick through their unsorted stacks and get what I like - no premium. There is usually a nice board or two just waiting for me to pick it up.

David, apparently I've already upload the pic that I was thinking of. If you go to the following link, you can see some of the leg details. Hope this helps: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...t=24881&page=4

Patrick, here's the pic that I said I'd put up. I hope this is what you were looking for.
    Attached Images Attached Images