Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone own a Felder RL-125?

Anyone own a Felder RL-125?

Hello.

Does anyone here have any experience with the Felder RL-125 Dust collector?

I am realizing more and more that the DC is the most used tool in the shop. Since adding some Sanding machines, my old single bagger 2hp isnt keeping up... It may not actually be in the race

So I am looking for quality. Capable of keeping up with a 15" WBS or a Drum sander.

Also wonder if it comes single phase?

I don't have one myself, though I did give them a hard look before I bought my system and was very impressed. Unfortunately the model I needed (their biggest one) didn't ship to the States, even though they advertise it here
    Anyway if you go to the Felder site there is also a owners group there and they may be able to give you some first hand feedback.
    good luck,
    JeffD

Paul Cresti used to own the RL-160. They seem to do a good job at collection, but also seem to be a bit messy to clean the bins. Somewhat "up there" in cost, too, compared to other high quality options in the cyclone world. The one major benefit of the RL units is the low headroom requirement, however...while there are increasing options in the cyclone world for folks with low ceilings, the RL series is certainly suitable for that kind of situation.

I believe that in Canada, you can source Oneida cyclones via an outfit named Wellbeck or something like that. There are probably other brands available. Cyclones really do excel at getting the fines out of the air to the point that not much even gets to the filters if it's set up properly.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Rick,

Paul Chresti had one for sale awhile back. He is on the creek, send him a pm and get some feed back.

good luck,
    Rye Crane

Hi Rick, I have a single phase RL-125 and it has handled everything that I've thrown at it. This includes a 16 inch AD-741 jointer-planer and 24 inch Woodmaster sander. 100% satisfied with the unit, it's not quiet but neither are the tools it's hooked up to. My only complaint is that it generates noticable heat in my basement shop when it's running. A welcome side effect in the winter months, but wish it were kicking out AC in the summer. This is really not a ding on the RL-125, any 4/5 hp (can't remember) motor is going to generate some heat.

pm me if you have additional questions

steve

Rick,
    I unfortunately could not sell my RL160....I think that about sums up my feelings of this unit

I have gone through a bunch of DC's over the years as have many others around here...the only catch is I was doing this professionally for a while and got into industrial sized machines and their voracious CFM appetite.

I went from the old Grizzly 2hp single bagger to a modified bag (can not remember the company that designs over sized bags), to designing ductwork for better airflow to a Woodsucker to the RL160.

When I got the bigger machines my good ole Woodsucker just could not keep up with the min 6" main lines and distance to the machines with multiple ports. I will spare you the entire saga of how I got to where I am today but in a nutshell this is what the RL160 is good at and what it is bad based upon my use and needs for choosing it at the time:

Works well:
    1) with lower ceiling heights where the unit is installed vs a big cyclone which could require some ceiling/framing modifications
    2) existing 6" ductwork which I already had in place...I just did not want to buy all new ductwork and lay my entire system again
    3) holding a large capacity of chips/dust...I believe the two bins hold around 105gl
    4) having a very strong suction for my machines with two ports. It still really is a one machine unit (assuming two ports) or two machines with one port each. If you have only one port open this unit has very strong suction

Does not work well:
    1) really really expensive for what you get....after all it only sits around collects dust
    2) the bin collection is very finicky...there is a selector for bins but that does not work very well. It is best to find a place where they both fill up equally but that is not the case as no matter what the far bin always fills first.
    3) the internal "ramps" that lead up to the bins. The bin chart locks into the bottom of the unit and rolls out to empty (via bags in the bins) but in order to allow the bins to roll out the bins is smaller than the main unit. The ramps and ledges inside the unit "funnel" stuff into the bins...that is the problem stuff builds up on this ledges constantly. You need to crawl under the unit and clean all this stuff out...and guess what? you get covered in all that nasty stuff.
    4) over flowing the bins....in a cyclone the stuff goes up the neck of the cylinder and then will fall out when you remove the container. In the RL the stuff falls out, collects all over the ledges and starts to clog the filters directly above! Yes it is really the operators fault but man do you pay for it!

I wish I would have simply gone with a more powerful cyclone unit!

Felder offers a single phase option on a lot of their machinery.

The older models had a problem not filling both bins. I don't know of they fixed it or not.

The Felder became top of list due to the ability to reduce the sound to 70db.

I cannot vent outside and need/ want clean air, quality and strong suction.

I live in an area where I need to be quieter than most. I also need clean ..

My other big priority is that I dont want junk.

I looked at Oneida, JDS, Grizzly and Felder. The only one that is CSA approved is Felder. I didnt warm up to JDS. Grizzly is a hassle with the no shipping to Canada thing. Oneida is great but not CSA approved.

I really appreciate the review Paul. I emailed the Felder rep tonight asking if the dust ledge thing has been addressed. I had ordered the RL-160, but upon reading your post, I have asked for an explanation before I send the money.

I opened my email when I got home, they emailed the invoice. So I copied and pasted your review and asked for an explanation.

Im not too concerned about the overflowing of the bins. I will be the only one using the machine. The dust collecting inside sounds horrible, not filling the bins equally sounds irritating.

I will let you know what they say. I hope they have resolved it.

Rl 160

Rick,

I own an RL 160 and of all the DCs I have owned this is by far the best one. I can't comment on an Oneida unit because I've not owned one. The RL is a great machine in my opinion. It handles my 25 inch wide belt with no probem. It handles my 20 inch planer with no problems. The bags that are used to line the bins hold up well if your not too hard on them. I have the noise reducer and it helps but it is still a bit loud but what DC isn't. My entire shop is plumbed with Nordfab duct work and I believe quality duct work is a big factor in having a great DC system. One that does not have leaks.

It does heat up the shop as someone said. It's great in the winter in Pittsburgh but a bit warm in the summer. Oh well,

I have 6 inch duct work, I could have but didn't go with an 8 inch trunk line. Not that it is hurting me but I think it would have been even better. There are a few guys that have opened up their RLs and claim there is a difference. I have one main 6 inch trunk line that is 45 ft long and another 6 inch line that branches off that is about 30 ft long for the Wide Belt and it works fine.

One other advantage is that the RL filters the air returning into the shop, it is suppose to be a clean air machine.

hope this helps.

I have been going around and around (in my head) over ducting. Right now I have 4" pvc, (grounded).
    I am tearing it out and changing it to 6".

I was going to use 24ga stove pipe. I have been told I should use Spiral pipe.

I want to use something that is locally available so if I need a fitting, I can just go buy it.

I read on Pentz site that PVC actually creates less friction than any metal pipe, so I am now considering going back to 6".

I dont mind grounding it. I may look at 6" PVC conduit, there are all sorts of sweep 90's and 45's available.

Thanks for that review Ben.

I own a Felder AF-22 DC -- this is the bag-unit. However, I think that the collection bags will work similarly to the RL series. The suction on my AF-22 is awesome and I have no complaints. Dust does collect along the ledges above the bag housing, although it has never really been an issue for me -- every so often I just take a stick or a brush and sweep the dust into the bag. It has not impacted performance in any way from what I can tell. The lever that diverts chips between the two bags is OK -- it does not entirely close off one bag or the other -- I find leaving it in the middle tends to fill both bags simultaneously -- it is not perfect, but I have never had one bag fill and the other remain empty. Changing the bags is very easy on my unit -- and I think that it is just as easy if not easier on the RL units. The main advantage to getting the RL over another type of system is for the clean-air (and the smaller footprint). Otherwise, for the cost/performance, you can do just as well going with a cyclone or single-stage system IMHO. I was seriously looking at the RL-125 and RL-160 before deciding on the AF-22. For the type of work I do and the amount of time I actually get to spend in the shop, the AF-22 was a better value for me and it has lived up to my expectations.

Good luck with your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Fisher View Post
    Oneida is great but not CSA approved.

Hi Rick, both my Oneida cyclone (1.5 HP Component with external filter, and my brother's 2 HP Commercial Oneida have CSA approved motors.

Both cyclones were purchased from Wellbeck Sawmill in Durham Ontario.

regards, Rod.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 08-11-2008 at 9:15 AM. Reason: Fixed quote tagging

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Fisher View Post
    The Felder became top of list due to the ability to reduce the sound to 70db.

I cannot vent outside and need/ want clean air, quality and strong suction.

I live in an area where I need to be quieter than most. I also need clean ..

My other big priority is that I dont want junk.

I looked at Oneida, JDS, Grizzly and Felder. The only one that is CSA approved is Felder. I didnt warm up to JDS. Grizzly is a hassle with the no shipping to Canada thing. Oneida is great but not CSA approved.

I really appreciate the review Paul. I emailed the Felder rep tonight asking if the dust ledge thing has been addressed. I had ordered the RL-160, but upon reading your post, I have asked for an explanation before I send the money.

I opened my email when I got home, they emailed the invoice. So I copied and pasted your review and asked for an explanation.

Im not too concerned about the overflowing of the bins. I will be the only one using the machine. The dust collecting inside sounds horrible, not filling the bins equally sounds irritating.

I will let you know what they say. I hope they have resolved it.
    Rick,
    Curious as to if you ended up getting the RL and what was told to you by Felder?

Rick did buy the RL-160. Not sure how he feels about it 6 months into owning it. You should PM him...joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Jensen View Post
    Rick did buy the RL-160. Not sure how he feels about it 6 months into owning it. You should PM him...joe
    Resurrecting an old post, Rick, if you are still round, can you report back on your RL160 experience?
    Mark McFarlane