Thread: I went to an Antique Mall this week

I went to an Antique Mall this week

Here are the 2 items I came back with.

1. A Rockford Greenlee draw knife

2 I don't know what it is called or for sure how its used but it is used by fitting it into a brace to turn it. For $6 I just couldn't leave it in the bucket of junk it was setting in.

The threaded part is adjusted by turning the knob to rotate it inside of the casting the chain is fastened to on one side & hooked into on the other side. I was wondering if this tool is used to drill into posts or poles by wrapping the chain around the post or pole & adjusting it with the knob to push the drill bit tight against the post or pole & then start turning the brace & adjusting with the knob to keep tension on the chain & keep the bit tight in the hole & re- adjusting the chain & threaded part to help hold everything in place.

Any body have any ideas what the Brace attachment is used for?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 04-30-2004 at 1:22 AM.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Drilling into steel by hand is rather difficult. That tool allows you to strap your brace with a drill bit in it onto the piece of steel. As you turn the thing that looks like a faucet handle you tighten the chain and that pulls the bit against the steel you are drilling much tighter than you can by leaning on the brace.

A chain Drill

What you have there is a chain drill.

Its used to drill holes in places where you can't always apply pressure behind the brace.

For example, you are climbing a telephone pole. Wrap the chain around the pole. Start spinning the brace and away you go.

You will find lots of other examples of it on google if you search for chain drill.

Scott