Thread: Laser engraving Granite

Laser engraving Granite

I was wondering if anyone had done any engraving with Granite? And if you have what were the results? I ran accross a site that supplied pure black Granite at a good price, that may be good for Photo's.
    Thanks for any info,
    Mike

I have done a good bit of Granite - I have a place near me that is pretty cheap. It turns out nice - but just a little grey.

For photos and other images - I really prefer Black Marble. Pure black is hard to find and Keith shared a supplier from GA. The only problem there is the shipping. If the guys packing it do a bad job - it tends to get pretty beat up by UPS.

Did you get PhotoGrav? It is really essential for photos!

Steve

Thanks for the info Steve. I'm in the process of getting Photograv "still shoping around". If you know where to get it at a good price please let me know. They really ding you on the specialty software!

Mike

Mike,

I received one granite tile as a sample when I ordered my first shipment of black marble. I have yet to try the granite as I haven't found an appropriate job for the material. The granite tile isn't pure black, it is a speckled charcoal color.

If you find a better program than PhotoGrav for processing photographs to engrave let me know. In my search I couldn't find any product that was comparable to PhotoGrav and although it is pricey and seems a little clunky to use it does a reasonably good job. We don't use PhotoGrav all the time and rarely for black marble, we normally get better results with a photo editing program, then invert the photo before sending it to the engraver.