Thread: BLO/shellac

Question BLO/shellac

Random question here, but I had a wrag with BLO on it get on some shellac finished wood I am working on. I plan on putting another layer of shellac on the first coat of shellac. Will this BLO on the wood interfere with another layer of shellac?

I don't suspect it would be a problem, or else you wouldn't be able to put shellac over BLO in the first place. I just need to let the shellac w/ BLO on it dry for a day or so before i put the second coat of shellac on?

Thanks for the info.
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

It won't be a problem unless left on as a thick coat that would cure to be quite soft, but if wiped off even with a dry cloth, it wouldn't be thick enough to cause a problem. But why leave it on at all, it would, if done before it cured, come off with mineral spirits. The mneral spirits would have no effect on the shellac.

It wasn't an intentional BLO over shellac, just a wrag dripped some BLO on a shellaced piece. I wiped it off pretty well, but (through i strongly doubted) wondered if it would cause any problems with the second planned coat of shellac.
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

It certainly won't cause any compatibility issue. The only issue would be if yr initial shellac coat was thin enough to allow the BLO to penetrate - and to penetrate unevenly.

Since you wiped most of it off, there's no need to wait long for it to dry.

Bottom line: if the coloration looks even enough and fine to you, then you shld be able to continue with shellac with no probs.

Quote Originally Posted by alex grams View Post
    It wasn't an intentional BLO over shellac, just a wrag dripped some BLO on a shellaced piece. I wiped it off pretty well, but (through i strongly doubted) wondered if it would cause any problems with the second planned coat of shellac.
    As Steve said, dampen a rag with mineral spirits and wipe the area. Then wipe the area dry with a clean rag or paper towels. Let the area fully dry and you can apply your next application of shellac.
    Howie.........

You should not have a problem if u clean up as mentioned above...
    Jerry