Thread: Question on using 1/2 inch plywood for entertainment center

Question on using 1/2 inch plywood for entertainment center

Hi all,
    My latest project will be a small entertainment center for my living room. The generic dimensions will be 44 inches wide x 20 inches tall x 19 inches deep. It will look much more like a small cofee table with 4 cubby's as it is designed to fit under my window in the corner.

The entertainment center will only hold the home theater receiver, Cable box, DVD player, and DVD's. My TV is wall mounted. In my orginal design I had planned on using 1/2 plywood for the sides and bottom, and maybe top. Then 3/4 inch plywood for the shelves/cubby's. I planned on using the 3/4 inch to hold the weight. I of course will build a face frame and hide all the ugly plywood edges.

So my question is this. Do you feel 1/2 plywood is enough and also should I mix 3/4 with 1/2. I had also considered doing the top in 3/4 for the large "look" so any opinions on that would be handy as well.

Or should I scrap the 1/2 and go 3/4 all the way. I went 1/2 cause I had it and it was a bit cheaper (not much mind you). If I need to I can always buy a bit more.

Thanks,

Shane

Shane, 1/2" plywood isn't necessarily a problem, but it depends up on the design of the piece including internal partitions and how you distribute the load. I've been using it pretty much exclusively for my upper cabinets these days for the same reason you cite...cost...and have encountered no issues. Perhaps if you provided a sketch of what you propose design-wise, it would be more helpful to folks to understand the situation and comment more exactly.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I would use 3/4" all the way.

Ok let me try a crude sketch

What I would want to do is have those left and right sides be 1/2 inch. The top I thought I would do as 3/4 though I am open to suggestion. The middle could be 1/2 or 3/4. All around I am open to suggestion.

Shane
    Attached Images Attached Images

3/4" ply all the way. Also you can make this cabinet a lot more rigid by cutting a 1/4" rabbbit on the back of both sides, top and bottom of cabinet and add a 1/4" thick plywood to the back of cabinet. Secure back with glue and small staples.

Unless I am mistaken on your dimensions, I think you can make that entire thing out of one 4'x8' sheet of 3/4" plywood. Unless you already have a mix of 1/2" and 3/4" scrap plywood in your shop that you are trying to use up, I think you will actually save money by just buying the one sheet of 3/4". (I think the advice to add a 1/4" backing is also good. You will just need a few holes for wires.) Another reason to use just one size of sheet good is that it can simplify tool setup and save time, especially if you are planning to use dadoes for your joinery. Messing with my dado stack on the table saw is a bit time consuming, and I would rather set it up once for 3/4" than do it twice for 1/2" and 3/4". Multiple dado sizes and different stock thicknesses also increases the chances of making mistakes. (I don't know this from experience, but I have heard this can happen... seriously. ) It is very difficult to turn a 3/4" dado cut back into a 1/2" dado.
    If I could ever finish working on my shop, maybe I could find the time to start working in my shop.

1/2" is generally plenty strong for sides. It will be supported front (by the face frame) and rear(by the back) so there isn't much chance of it bowing. I don't have the numbers on how much weight it will hold vertically but I will take a guess it is a lot more than will ever be on it.

One of the primary reasons a lot of cabinet makers use only 3/4 is so there isn't duplication of ordering. Bigger quantities makes for better value.

I also agree that you can get all that from one sheet so any savings would be lost on purchasing addition pieces.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

I had 1/2 a sheet of 3/4 this the reason I wanted to mix and match. Thanks for all of the advice.

Shane, I recently completed a smallish entertainment center using ¾ ply mdf with maple ply for the sides, top and bottom. However, I used ½ ply veneered with maple for the center vertical pieces. I framed the sides and top with 7/8 inch thick solid maple. I made it with only three "cubbies" and the center has a fake set of three drawers which is really a sliding panel. See photos below.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Johansen View Post
    Shane, I recently completed a smallish entertainment center using ¾ ply mdf with maple ply for the sides, top and bottom. However, I used ½ ply veneered with maple for the center vertical pieces. I framed the sides and top with 7/8 inch thick solid maple. I made it with only three "cubbies" and the center has a fake set of three drawers which is really a sliding panel. See photos below.
    Bert,
    Love the entertainment center, it reminds me of a piece of furniture we had when I was a kid back in the late 60's. I love it.