Thread: Wine rack cabinet w/rotating door

Wine rack cabinet w/rotating door

I would like to build a cabinet that houses a wine rack, but I want the wine rack to be mounted to the cabinet door. The cabinet door would then pivot off of the center point.
    My question is-How do you figure how much clearence I would need to open the door?
    Here is a rough drawing to show what I mean-

The corners would hit the sides of the cabinet walls.

Here is a pic with the door open-

I am guessing there is some geometry involved, but heck I was chasing brunette cheerleaders when I should have been studying.

Thanks
    Mission Furniture- My mission is to build more furniture !

i have had to perform some fairly well hidden doors (oo7 type stuff) and am wondering what your objective is with one rack of depth? usually th reason would be to access another rack, or to get to a safe or something behind it!!

you could build it on heavy hidden ball bearing slides and rotate it on a lazy susan bearing when extracted!!

I think this would work about 1012039201 times better than trying to engineer something from scratch.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=22&filter=92528

excellent idea!! selby hardware, another source!!

http://selbyhardware.com/r4.htm

Thanks guys for the info, and I should have mentioned in the original post.
    This is to be a loosly translated replica of a A&C liquer cabinet. Except I would like to make it a wine cabinet. Also, I want it to be kinda unusual so that it may grab some attention from buyers.
    Here is a pic of the original-

As you can see, for liquer the bottles can be vertical, but with wine they need to be horizontal.

The second reason for my question was when I built the mahogany armoire I did use that tv pull out. The client called me to ask what would be the largest size tv he could buy that would fit in the armoire.
    I ended up having to make a plywood box to mimic a plasma tv, in order to see what size would work.
    Mission Furniture- My mission is to build more furniture !

Pythagorean Theorem

Dave,

It comes down to a2 + b2 = c2. where A is half the width of the rack, b is the distance from the front of the cabinet to the tip of the longest bottle, and c is half the required inside width and (don't forget) inside depth of the cabinet. See pic below.

You can either calculate this figure, or simply sketch out the inside rack to scale and measure it.

Assuming the wine rack is meant to be 5 bottles wide, with 4" width per bottle slot and 1" for the rack sides, then the rack frame is 22". Half that would be 11". a = 11

Assuming the average wine bottle is about 11.5 " and allowing for a little bit of flexibility, then the rack depth is roughly 14" (including a 1" deep front panel). b = 14

Then its:

c^2 = 11^2 + 14^2
    c = SQRT(121 + 196)
    c = SQRT(317)
    c = 17.8 = 17 13/16

So the front panel width and inside width of the cabinet must be a minimum of 2 x 17 13/16 = 35 5/8.

The minimum distance from the pivot point to the inside back of the cabinet must be 1/2 of the panel width (17 13/16 unless you make the panel wider).

Assuming you pivot in the middle of the front panel, your rough dimensions would be 37 5/8 x 19 5/8. If you increase the width, be sure to adjust your depth accordingly.

One last point. Make sure you bevel the sides of the front panel to ensure they can pass by the sides cleanly. Either that, or leave a decent gap between the panel and the sides.

Make sense?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_theorem
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Danny Thompson; 08-18-2008 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Updated illustration

Smaller version

Another alternative is put the pivot point in the center of the rack and go with more of a square layout, :

Make a = 1/2 rack width; b = 1/2 rack depth; c = distance from center point to corner of the rack (making sure the full bottle is contained within this dimension).

In this example, with a 24" wide cabinet, 3 bottles wide (14" including sides), 4"/bottle, 14" rack depth (including face), the formula is:

Clearance = SQRT(7^2 +7^2)
    = SQRT(49 + 49)
    = SQRT(98)
    = 9.89" or 9 29/32"; let's say 10"

In this case the distance from the pivot point to the inside back would have to be C (10"), and the distance from the pivot point to the front would have to be 1/2 b (7"). Add an inch for the back and you get a total depth of 18".

Also notice in this example that the face of the door does not (and can not) span the entire width of the cabinet.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Danny Thompson; 08-18-2008 at 5:16 PM.