Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What 10" Table Saw Should I Buy?

What 10" Table Saw Should I Buy?

I am looking to purchase a new 10" table saw in the next few weeks and would like your thoughts on which would be best. The only requirement I have is it must operate on 110 volts 1 Phase. I know my choices are limited but what would be the best bang for the money.

Thanks
    Richard

No question, look at the "hybrid" type saws. They meet your 120v requirement and have many advantages over the old "contractors' style" saws. Some of the latest machines also come with riving knives which is very desirable, IMHO.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim gave you good advice. You only have 2 choices...

Hybrid
    Contractor

The choice should be clear. The best contractor saw IMO is the SAWSTOP and it has a price tag to match the exclusive finger saving brake.

Hybrid saws are as close as you can get to cabinet saws w/110 requirements.
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Steel City has a REALLY nice saw running at 110v. It's a meager 1.75HP but that's what you get at 110v.

http://www.steelcitytoolworks.com/pr...=12&tool=35670

Why the voltage limitation? Nearly all residential service is 220v.

Blog Entries
    I run a C-man 22124. close cousin to the Delta and the Steel City. the Delta went with table mounted trunnions IIRC. The SCTW has a superior fence by all reports and as the 22124 has a commercial Bies, that's saying something.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

The top tier of hybrids are the best of the new 110v offerings IMHO. Craftsman 22124, Steel City 35670, Jet Proshop, GI 50-220CM1, Woodtek, Grizzly G0478, G0661, and the Shop Fox W1748 are all worth a look.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Just as an FYI, I had my 1 1/2 hp contrators saw on a 110 circuit for a short while. I'd recommend you have your saw on at least a 20 amp circuit - I tried mine on a 15 amp and it would blow the breaker pretty consistently on start up if there was anything else drawing power on the circuit. Induction motors draw higher amps starting up than when running.

I added a 220 circuit to my shop a month or two after buying my saw, and I haven't looked back. From my experience, motors over 1 hp will benefit from 220. The saw starts up faster and seems to run more powerfully under load.

Rich

I have the General International Model 50-220C Hybrid saw. It's been a fine saw for me. The fence is......... Well let's just say it's a "compromise" and leave it at that. I would seriously advise replacing it if you were to buy one.
    The fence really is the heart of a tables saw. It will make or break one regardless of cost or power. Look to put the best fence you can afford on your table saw. Power is secondary for me

I also have an older Jet Contractor saw and it's been a good saw also. I've run some pretty tough material through both saws and have had no issues.

Rich,

To echo every one else's sentiments, a hybrid is a better option than a contractor for the most part (the exception may be the SawStop which has a lot of engineering put into a contractor type saw). As Mike said -- invest in the fence. If it comes down to two saws, buy the one with the better fence.

When I bought my saw, I was likewise limited to 110 volts. It was a rental and somewhat on the older side. I would have a good look at your panel before dropping the money on a saw. I wasn't as unlucky as Verne -- I didn't blow a fuse whenever I started the saw, but the lights would dim. I thought it was just the lights in my basement shop. After a year, my wife told me that every time I started the saw, I dimmed every light in the house and scrozzed the TV.

All that being said, I recommend the Craftsman 22124. I've had mine for four years without complaint. Everything I have thrown at it, it has handled without a problem. It arrived perfectly aligned, and has held its alignment well. The Biesemeyer is an industry benchmark and it is fantastic.

Lastly, Popular Woodworking reviewed hybrids in an article within the last year. I forget who they ultimately recommended (FWIW, it wasn't the 22124) but you might find some helpful information there.

Cheers,

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.

I bought the jet proshop a few months back. I'm more than satisfied with it. No problems yet. I would recommend it. not sure if its out yet, but I believe they were adding a riving knife in the near future to it. That would make it as close to a perfect hybrid as possible in my opinion. Maybe someone can verify the riving knife for me.

For new, the Craftsman 22124 would be my first choice. But there are plenty of used (American made) Delta contractor's saws on craiglist. Prices run from $150 to $700, depending upon condition, and accessories. The fence system is the largest determiner of price. I have a 20+ year old Delta contractor's saw which I earn my living on every day. I have a Uni, which I have had for five years, but just haven't taken the time to set up. Makes a great resting place for an old RAS.

I agree with Glen and Scott S. you cannot go wrong with either the SC Hybrid or the Craftsman Zip code saw. Both saws are almost identical and use a lot of the same parts. (Both saws are made by Orion, in China.) The Craftsman has the Beisemeyer fence system which is a plus, but the Steel City comes with a standard 5 yr. warranty where the Craftsman is covered for 1 year. I own the Craftsman saw and do not regreat the purchase the saw is great and the fence is dead on.

Hello,
    I am looking to purchase a new 10" table saw in the next few weeks and would like your thoughts on which would be best. The only requirement I have is it must operate on 110 volts 1 Phase. I know my choices are limited but what would be the best bang for the money.
    I feel I got the most bang for my buck as witnessed here:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...highlight=3660

I looked at several saws and scoured the used lists, both online and several local papers, for months. For the most part, I'm satisifed with the Ridgid TS3660.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Exclamation Zipcode!

Richard,

All great suggestions above! I too went through this same decision process and after months of research, decided to go with the Craftsman 22124...Great saw and one of the Best Fence systems on the market! HERE is a detailed review of my experiences with the 22124.

Got mine this Spring for $900 and installed a quality Forrest WWII TK-40 tooth blade...cuts like butter through 8\4 hardwood oak! However, be advised that most Sears store saw displays are Poorly set up and are Not well maintained. Best to judge the 22124 performance by the WW's who have used it...Plenty of positive reviews on the net!!

Hope this helps, Good Luck with your Purchase!

Ted
    Last edited by Ted Torres; 08-13-2008 at 11:01 AM.
    Professional Amateur

Yet another vote for the Craftsman 22124. Mine has given great service the fence is top notch, cabinet mounted trunions etc etc. I was able to use several saws that friends had bought including a Unisaw a PM 66, a Jet super saw and a Grizzly cabinet saw (the Craftsman is a cabinet saw... why it's listed as a "hybrid" I have no idea). All were good saws but when I used another friends 22124 I couldn't tell any difference in the performance or accuracy of cut (it actually cut better than the Grizzly by a good margin and the Grizzly had a new WWII blade in it)

My saw needed no adjustments after assembly other than a .3 degree adjustment to the 45 degree bevel setting which can be done from above the table... another great feature of this saw. Easily passes the "nickel test" is quiet as table saws go..

I had looked at many saws before I upgraded from the contractor saw that I used for 15yrs prior. The production type saws can be tempting but unless you're going to be slamming full sized panels through them all day or rippinn 3" hardwood constantly they're really overkill for anyone else.

It will run on (and comes prewired for) 110, but I run everything I can on 220 as I only have 40A service run to my shop which is detached from the house by a good distance (200ft) which makes upgrading the service both problematic and expensive..

Some guys have found this saw on sale for under $950 from time to time but I waited 6 months waiting for it to go on sale.... in the meantime the price went up! then a couple months later it was listed on the craftsman club days discount list so I got it right at $1,000 with tax..

Good luck with your quest.