Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What 10" Table Saw Should I Buy?

I bought the Steel City 10" hybrid last fall and really like everything about it. I strongly recommend that you get the saw with the Industrial Fence option - it's a very nice fence that is always in alaignment. I work mostly with hardwoods and the power of this saw at 110 volts is adequate.

Just get a PM66 and order a 110V Baldor motor. Do you have a 60A breaker? I often wonder why the resistance to putting in a 220V line or two? Maybe its because my father, my father in law and my next door neighbor are all electricians and I know my way around a panel myself, but to me installing 220 is like changing my socks. Sure opens up a lot of possibilities.

Not trying to challenge your decision or be obnoxious, just curious why voltage would be a primary restriction?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    Not trying to challenge your decision or be obnoxious, just curious why voltage would be a primary restriction?
    A couple of people have asked this, and while I cannot speak for the original poster, there are very practical (though non-electrical) limitations why 220 may not be an option.

Speaking for myself, when I bought my saw, I was renting a townhouse and setting up a shop in the basement. I couldn't run a 220 circuit because I didn't own the place. While I now own my own house, my shop is a shed at the back of the lot and came pre-wired. Now, I haven't asked an electrician, but the jack-of-all-trades home inspector told me I would have to run new wire if I wanted 220 out there.

Also, look at capital outlay. A new cabinet saw is anywhere from twice to five times the cost of a new hybrid. If work has to be done by a licensed electrician to run a 220 circuit, that eats a lot of money. And while a used machine is always an option, I know I would be a little hesitant to buy a used machine simply because I wouldn't be confident enough to judge whether that particular machine is in good enough shape. I am not mechanically inclined enough to rely on my judgment. I would rather invest the capital in a machine that comes with a warranty. Additionally, if a used machine needs rehabbing, there is the time investment. To me, where I have precious spare time for my hobby, that is a serious concern.

Lastly, in case I sound defensive or "snippy" or worse, rest assured, that isn't the case. I'm just trying to point out limitations that can exist.

Saving to run 220,

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.

while 240 may not be an option, keep in mind most homes dont have a dedicated 10/2 line run to their shop location, on its own 30amp breaker - which seems to be a requirement for a 120V hybrid saw.

so, youre probably running new wire either way, just depends how many spare poles you have in your panelboard..

I went with a Rigid TS3650 and have been very happy. It will run on 110 or 220 volt (I rewired for 220) so down the road if you have 220 available you can take advantage of the higher voltage.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Does that mean the table saw that Emerson(Ridgid) built for Sears can also be rewired for 220? I saw nothing in the manual and just assumed...

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    I went with a Rigid TS3650 and have been very happy. It will run on 110 or 220 volt (I rewired for 220) so down the road if you have 220 available you can take advantage of the higher voltage.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    Does that mean the table saw that Emerson(Ridgid) built for Sears can also be rewired for 220? I saw nothing in the manual and just assumed...
    Jerome,

If you look at the motor it will be marked as 110/220 if it is possible to be rewired, there will also be a diagram of how to change the wiring to achive the change.

Heather
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.

That's what I figured, I did look and there is nothing about rewiring. Maybe I can use that as an excuse to shop for a cabinet saw after I get the shop rewired for 220.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Zick View Post
    while 240 may not be an option, keep in mind most homes dont have a dedicated 10/2 line run to their shop location, on its own 30amp breaker - which seems to be a requirement for a 120V hybrid saw.

so, youre probably running new wire either way, just depends how many spare poles you have in your panelboard..
    That's what I'm thinking too. in fact most homes don't even have a 12/2 20A line convenient to a garage or basement. That puts out many dust collectors, drum sanders, and a few other things. I see the rental issue, many property managers or landlords would be hesitant to allow a renter to modify the electrical system. I guess I take my FIL, Dad and neighbor for granted. But even at $125/hour I would find a way to get a 220V line and a few 20A circuits in the shop, maybe a dedicated sub panel if it makes sense. Not everyone needs a cabinet saw, that part was a joke.

220v wiring

If you are in your own house, and if you have a 220v electrical service panel, you can do most of the wiring work and not break the bank.

Two years ago I added two 110v 15A circuits to my garage so I could get off the garage circuit which had other stuff on it. Just wouldn't run but a minute or two when I ran my table saw and shop vac at the same time. I wired it myself by adding two 14/2 cables, which handle 15Amps each, and installed two 110v 15A breakers. In the garage I ran the wire through metal conduit. The wiring part of it is "easy" for almost anyone. Adding the breakers may be too dicey and uncomfortable for some, but you can get an electrician to install the breakers for at most, 1 hour of labor. It cost $135 including breakers for the two 220v circuits. I also put two wall mounted power strips at 42" above the floor. Worked great, looks decent, and was much less hassle to run all my equipment.

This year, I decided to upgrade to a hybrid table saw and to add a dust collector. Since 1.5 HP and 2 HP motors push the limits of a 110v 15A circuit, I decided to quit wringing my hands about it and to upgrade the wiring also. I ran 2 more 14/2 cables for 220v lines into the garage. This time, I paid an electrician to install the 15A breakers for the 220v lines because it took some rearranging of circuits inside the panel. He did it with power on, which I would personally not like to do.

I ran the new wiring through PVC conduit in the garage. Now the heavier equipment runs at full power without pushing the limits of the 110v circuits.

Takes the pain out of 110v vs 220v decisions.

Now if Grizzly would ever start shipping the G0661 (aarrrgggghhhh!!!!).

Jim
    The pics below: (1) Both conduits coming from basement into garage. (2) One of two 220v 15A outlets. (3) Two 110v 15A strips.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jim Jones; 08-19-2008 at 2:07 PM.

Why buy new when you can get so much more for your money with a used saw and it's no more likely to need a bunch of tuning up than a new one.....

In most cases making 240 V available is no big deal. If you have a dedicated circuit available it can usually be converted to 220 without a lot of expense. Different outlet, two pole breaker.... so don't let this issue automatically control your decisions ....

JMO.

Which TS?

+1 for the Craftsman Hybrid.

I own one and IMO, think they're a little under rated. They seem to have the biggest bang for the buck, especially when on sale.

I purchased a slightly used Dewalt 746 hybrid last year and have been very pleased with the saw, fence and dust collection. Also has one of the smallest footprints of all the hybrids.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]If you first don't succeed, TRY, TRY AGAIN...

This thread is from 2008-While I've been known to ALSO jump into an old,dead, thread, I thought I might point out how old this one is....

You should look at the new Grizzly 10" hybrid saw. 2HP, riving knife, will run on 110, $900 shipped. I've been happy with my Griz tools; best price/value IMO, and the customer service is top shelf.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-H...Series-/G0715P

Good luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.