Thread: Is there a rule of thumb for what height to put your grinder for sharpening?

Is there a rule of thumb for what height to put your grinder for sharpening?

Hello Turners

I was told that a lathe should be placed at close to the same height as when a person stands with their arms hanging down and then bending at the elbow and putting their arms straight out at 90 degrees. If I do that with a lathe, do I do the same thing with a grinder?

Just curious as I only want to do it once.

Thanks in advance!

David
    Life is a gift, not a guarantee.

David I have my lathe 2" higher than my elbow so I don't have to bend over so much. My height measured 45" to my elbow so I ended up putting my lathe at 47". My grinder just sits on my bench which is I think 36" high. It works good for me. I don't see any reason it should be the same height as the lathe.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

David,
    Have never seen such a rule, in the same sense as the "elbow spindle height" guidline for lathe spindle height. I think most folks just mount their grinders on whatever surface is available, typically a benchtop about 36" high. Have seen one video that suggests a much higher elevation, about mid-chest height, as I recall. The reason for this elevation was to provide a closer look at the contact point between the tool edge and the stone. Probably ordinary bench top height works for most folks.
    Richard in Wimberley

I never thought about it before, but after going out to the shop to check, mine is almost the same height as the lathe. I would think this is more important if you sharpen by hand, as the sharpening cuts are almost the same as your turning cuts.
    robo hippy

David - I'm somewhere around 5' 10", have my lathe height set at 46" and built the grinder stand so I could see what I was doing while sharpening without having to bend way over. The grinder height is set at 51" to center of the wheels.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Richard, your right when a person grinds free-hand the grinder should be raised so you can see what's going on. A milk crate on a work bench is perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Thompson View Post
    A milk crate on a work bench is perfect.
    Doug,

Is that the set up you use for your production grinding, consuming 4 wheels in 12 days?
    Gordon

Blog Entries

big solid table

once i cranked the blade down its perfect. only took 2 hr to clean rust off.