Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do YOU turn a bowl thinner than 3/8"?

i ment .5 inches upto 1 inch, try doing it like doug said, it should work going from 3/4, thats what i do,
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Oops!

Curtis, I was reading hastily and misread your post. Oops!

I also want to complete a couple NE forms. I have a number roughed and dry, but finishing the 'wings' has me a little concerned. But like most things I do, I'm gonna dive right in and see what happens.

If you hadn't guessed, I tend to learn my lessons the hard way.

Hutch

P.S. Leo, you are very right. I feel fortunate to be able to learn from others. Up to this point I have done what I can to gain knowledge, and my current skill level has allowed me to produce some very nice things. But I feel that it's not just about the finished product for me. Sure, a certain piece may appear excellent, but I know how I got it that way, and it isn't always pretty. I want to be successful, but also skillful. In fact, I have been feeling very humbled lately by how many seemingly 'novice' questions I have needed to ask. But then again, I am a novice.
    Last edited by Matt Hutchinson; 08-14-2008 at 8:56 PM.

Matt,
    Am familiar with all those feelings you mentioned. Many of us feel like novices when compared to folks at the next level and beyond. Nothing for it but to continue trying to improve our capabilities, and hope we are having fun. An old saying comes to mind. Press on as if you know what you are doing, and eventually you will.
    Richard in Wimberley

Love it!

Richard, thanks for the encouragement. Never heard it before, but I love that quote. That's kinda how I have been living my life over the last year, and it's conciseness and spirit really hits home. Thanks!

Hutch

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hutchinson View Post
    How do each of you all turn at the rim without creating chatter? Thanks.

Hutch
    Personally, its against my religion, thus, all those who turn that thin are sinners in my eyes.

Okay, I'm kidding... but really, I think that is where these guys start getting reputations... the good kind.
    Have a Nice Day!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hutchinson View Post
    Curtis, I was reading hastily and misread your post. Oops!

I also want to complete a couple NE forms. I have a number roughed and dry, but finishing the 'wings' has me a little concerned. But like most things I do, I'm gonna dive right in and see what happens.

If you hadn't guessed, I tend to learn my lessons the hard way.

Hutch

P.S. Leo, you are very right. I feel fortunate to be able to learn from others. Up to this point I have done what I can to gain knowledge, and my current skill level has allowed me to produce some very nice things. But I feel that it's not just about the finished product for me. Sure, a certain piece may appear excellent, but I know how I got it that way, and it isn't always pretty. I want to be successful, but also skillful. In fact, I have been feeling very humbled lately by how many seemingly 'novice' questions I have needed to ask. But then again, I am a novice.
    Curtis don't ever feel humbled asking questions so you can improve yourself, there is no-one that is perfect, we all do learn from each other, and occasionally the hard way too .
    My grandfather said, and he was pretty old already then, "you are never to old to learn" to which I would add "If you want to"
    Have fun and take care

Leo has an excellent point about the public notreally appreciating the 1/16" inch thick walled bowls. When I first started turning, Del Stubbs was THE MAN for super thin turning. SO naturally I had to learn how as well. I eventually got pretty good at turning so thin the walls would glow and flex. But, after seeing people pick them up at shows and then set them back down again without buying, I began to question why? So I asked around (other turners) and I polled my customers as well. The result: except for turning collectors and other turners, no appreciated thin walls. The general buying public (on which we all depend) still want that feel and heft of a somewhat functional object, even though it may be burnt, painted and/or carved. When I next started leaving the walls a bit thicker, my sales went way up. One day, an older turner told me "I have never seen a transluscent tree. Why would I want a transluscent bowl of wood? If I want transluscence, I'll buy frosted glass bowls." Put that way, it started me thinking again (very dangerous thing!) and now I rarely turn less than 1/4" thin many times only down to 3/8". I let the overall scale of the piece and the nature of the wood tell me what the wall thickness/thinness should be.

bowlman
    Dick Gerard
    AAW #00013
    "Close Enough Isn't; Good Enough Isn't; It's Only Wood!"

Very Helpful!

Dick and Leo, that's some very helpful info. I am not actually trying for thin walls, but at least now I know not to bother unless I am doing it for myself. What happens with my bowls is that I end up not being pleased with the inside, so I take of a bit more and modifiy the curve/cut slightly. But with this method it doesn't take long to get the rim flexing under the cut. So now I will have to work on the "step cut" technique, and hopefully I won't be as hit and miss on things. Thanks for all the great information. It's been VERY helpful.

Off I go to try the new technique.

Hutch
    Last edited by Matt Hutchinson; 08-15-2008 at 4:23 PM.

Dick is spot on...and I'll add that only a turner would check how smooth something like a hollow vessel is inside. The average person wouldn't venture that far...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...