Thread: Completely unrelated questions.

Completely unrelated questions.

I found a Bridgewood 8" jointer on Craigslist for 400 dollars. Should I bite?

I have a 12' x 12' tile floor I would like to redo. How tough is it to demo an old tile floor?

I found a 6" Delta jointer for 400 dollars. Should I bite on this one?

I believe the Bridgewood jointer is well respected. For $400 I would at least go look.

Don't know about the floor tiles.

$400 for a 6" Delta jointer sounds like too much. I would guess $250-300 would be more like it

Don't buy less than an 8" jointer. If you buy a 6", you'll buy a larger one later.

I've seen power machines - essentially power scrapers - to remove tile quickly. I've never used one myself, but it looked fairly easy to use. I assume you can rent one.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Can't say about jointers. Don't have one.

We pulled up a bunch of tile floors in my house as a kid. They were over concrete and getting the tile up was a breeze -- broke one with a chisel, got the hand scraper under, and went to town.

Getting up the mastic . . . much longer. We did it with razorblade scrapers. If there is a power method or you can go over your old mastic, I would do it.

Cheers,

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.

http://www.contractorsdirect.com/Mak...Scraper-HK1810

It’s the tool for the job.

If it is still adhered well, there is no reason to take up the old thinset, (mastic) just go over it. thumbsup.gif
    Attached Images Attached Images

Depending on the age of the tile it shouldn't be too hard. I've done this several times over the years and depending on the age of the tiles it's been an easy to medium job. Defenitely look at getting a tile scraper. That can be the difference between an easy and pain in the butt project.

-Jon

Yes (certainly worth a look)

duno

No (I wish I'd bought an 8" instead of the 6")

Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

So basically that scraper is a hammer drill with special attachment? I laid this tile floor about 3 years ago. I didn't take care of a bow in the floor so several tiles have cracked already. I just used the thin set with latex added. That is all I thought I needed.

I am not so sure about the 8" jointer. Link provided.

http://westslope.craigslist.org/tls/803998391.html

The seller describes the fence as being 8 inches. The photos look like a 6" machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent E. Matthew View Post
    The seller describes the fence as being 8 inches. The photos look like a 6" machine.
    The seller does, in fact, describe the "fence" as 8", and it sure ain't 8"... Then again, 8" when referring to a jointer is typically bed width, and it is quite possible that the bed width is 8". Strikes me that the seller may not know really what he is selling.

I've never had a 6" jointer--I found a good deal on a used 8" grizzly. Even as a beginning woodworker (long hiatus from woodworking, anyway), I've pushed the limit of the 8" jointer. I find myself staring lustfully at 12" jointers... So, I'd heed the advice and look for an 8"... Mine was in good shape and I found it on CL with a 21" grizz planer as a combo for $750.