Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Work Boots

Work Boots

I need a new pair of work boots. My 25 year old Timberlands have finally seen the end of their days.

I did some searching and reading on "work boots" in this forum and have some questions. I saw brands that aren't familiar like Red Wing. I did see Wolverine mentioned.

I'm looking for something that has good support, so I'm guessing that means a steel shank. I also am thinking about a steel shank for those times I'm up on a ladder for awhile working. Probably want steel toe so my case of the "dropsies" doesn't do me in sometime in the future.

There is a Cabela's near me where I can get Wolverines. Bob's Stores near me carry those, Chippewa, Timberland Work series. I found the "americanmade workboots" website and see brands like Carolina, Chippewa, Justin, etc.

Any thoughts or comments on what's going to be comfortable and durable? These aren't for daily use, but I will probably also use them while I'm mowing the lawn (chasing the deck mower).

I've always worn Red Wings. I wear their boots, work shoes, and casual hiking shoes. I usually get about 5 yrs out of the work shoes and I'm on my feet 11-12 hrs a day. I do have a pair of engineer boots that are about 15yrs old that are still perfect but I don't wear them very often. No familiarity with other brands.
    Been around power equipment all my life and can still count to twenty one nakey

I've had both Red wings and chippewas and found both to be good quality.

I have worn Redwings for 25 years and they are a great boot. I bought a pair of Wolverines this last time, price was a big decider. They are just as good as the Redwings.

One thing, a lot of people are buying boots w/o a defined heel. There are a lot of jobsites where a defined heel is required and they will not let you wear them. Also with you being on a ladder a good bit, a defined heel would be better for you.

Kevin,

By a "defined" heel, I assume you mean the difference between a heel that's got a straight (perpendicular to the sole) edge vs. the ones that are either flat or the transition from sole to heel is a slope.

I'm guessing that the ladder thing is because the defined heel will catch on the rung better.

Correct?

Rob

I've owned Red Wings and Timberlands and both are still in use as the work around the house requires (Red Wings are just engineer boots, Timberlands have the steel toe). I bought the red wings 18 years ago when working and hiking everyday in volcanic tuff, which ate up hiking boot soles-in less than a month, the hiking boots were toast, soles worn clean through. The red wings survived the remaining 3 months of that summer job.

There is a Red Wing store in Springfield--I didn't see any in CT, just dealers, but that is fairly close to you. That Cabela's in E Hftd is huge, so I am sure you could find something there as well.

RED WING SHOE STORE
    HAYMARKET SQ
    1754 BOSTON RD
    SPRINGFIELD MA 01129-1142
    413-543-4678

http://www.redwingshoestore.info/dealers/48/

Oh, looks like there is one in Newington, but I suspect Springfield is still closer to S Windsor.:
    2434 BERLIN TPKE
    NEWINGTON CT 06111
    860-667-9038
    Last edited by Joe Cunningham; 08-15-2008 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Cunningham View Post
    That Cabela's in E Hftd is huge, so I am sure you could find something there as well.
    Yeah - I called them. Problem is they don't stock a lot of wide sizes (I'm typically an 11 EE).

Thx for the Redwing info.

I've got 2 pair of Redwings. The lowcut pair needed a re-tread a few years ago after about 15 years but other than the normal tread wear, the rest of the boots are still going strong. Of course, I had to have something else to wear for the few days it took for the re-tread, plus it was already cold out so I bought a higher style that also has Thinsulate lining. Now both pair get worn depending on the what the weather is. Redwing also has a goofy (but cool) warranty policy. If the laces wear out, I can stop in and get free laces basically forever. I would expect this to be normal wear and tear that I'd have to pay for, but who am I to argue if they want to give them to me free.
    Use the fence Luke

Rob,
    I have been wearing Red Wing Boots for 20+ years they are more expensive then others but the fit is great. I also have a size 12 but very narrow AA Red Wing is the only boot I can find in the AA size

bob

My latest pair of boots are Chippewa's and I would buy them again in a heartbeat. had them for 3+ years and they are holding up great.

I was a long time Herman Survivors wearing but the quality went down hill. I have also used Rocky's in the past and they are OK but the Chippewa's I have now (From Bobs) have been super.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Russell View Post
    Kevin,

By a "defined" heel, I assume you mean the difference between a heel that's got a straight (perpendicular to the sole) edge vs. the ones that are either flat or the transition from sole to heel is a slope.

I'm guessing that the ladder thing is because the defined heel will catch on the rung better.

Correct?

Rob
    Yes. On the other shift on a project, they almost had an ironworker killed when his foot slide through the ladder. He ended up with reconstructive surgery on his knee.

So while they may be more comfortable, it does have a downside.

For me I have always preferred a Wellington style boot. You may not get the ankle support of a lace up, but I like the slip on.

I finally had to get rid of a pair of Redwings, 24 years I had them, the top was so thin that they could not re-sole them. It was like losing an old friend.

If you really want the best boots, check out Whites. They don't give them away. They also make a little less costly brand called Hawthorn if I recall correctly. Out of Spokane Washington

Redwings and Chippewa are both great boots. I usually wear Red wings. Steel shank is a good thing for time spent on ladders. I spend alot of time on ladders and climbers and a defined heel is really helpful there. You will have either of these for another 25 years.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

RWs are good boots. Always have been. But the last time I needed a new pair of shop boots, I bit the bullet and splurged on a pair of Ecco boots (these ones to be exact: http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/32198256/c/607.html). I had a hard time choking down the price but these are incredible boots. Much more comfortable than any I have worn in the past. At the end of the day, my feet don't hurt nearly as much and the boots are designed to correct bad posture (which is also an issue for me) so I have much less back pain as well. Plus, they seem to be holding up under daily wear much better. So I'm thinking now that they are worth the extra dough....
    David DeCristoforo

Red Wing for the last 25 years or so. They even cured some back problems I was having at work I still wear the last pair I had before retirement, more comfortable then my tenny's !

PS: The laces NEVER wear out
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott