Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Work Boots

Rob

Another vote for Red Wings here. I have their steel toed ANSI approved safety shoes and they're awesome.

Closest store I know of to you is on Rte. 2 in Warwick RI. That's where I've gotten mine. Gotta be a place in Springfield I would think.

Davids ECCO boots are very nice also. There used to be an ECCO store in the West Farms Mall, but I haven't been in that Mall in a few years. If it's still there you'll probably have to order them in.

If Steel toes aren't an absolute necessity. Check out the Asolo line of boots. They're a European style boot similar to the old Zamberlains, an Italian non technical climbing boot. Nice boots. Mice got to my pair( Zamberlains) in storage, I was seriously bummed.

Get ready for the prices though.,

Another Red Winger chiming in. I have worn them off and on for most of my adult life. I also have a pair of Rockport boots that I used for daily walks for at least every day for three years and for work boots since 2002. Had them resoled and still wear them on occasion. The Gortex finally gave out so I can't wear them in the rain any longer.
    David B

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    RWs are good boots. Always have been. But the last time I needed a new pair of shop boots, I bit the bullet and splurged on a pair of Ecco boots (these ones to be exact: http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/32198256/c/607.html). I had a hard time choking down the price but these are incredible boots. Much more comfortable than any I have worn in the past. At the end of the day, my feet don't hurt nearly as much and the boots are designed to correct bad posture (which is also an issue for me) so I have much less back pain as well. Plus, they seem to be holding up under daily wear much better. So I'm thinking now that they are worth the extra dough....
    Some of us are getting to the age where plantar fasciitis can be a problem. I suffered for about 4 months with that, got some Ecco walking shoes and the difference was remarkable. Never had the boots, but can vouch for the corrective nature of their design and the impact on foot problems. If that isn't a problem for you, then Redwings or Rockport would get a vote - never cared for the one pair of Timberlands I had. Used to sell Rockys in our previous retail business. Their quality has really diminished over the years. We were beginning to get a lot of returns for glaring quality issues before we quit selling them.

I have gone through three pairs of work boots (mine used to double as snow boots as well when I lived in more northern climates). I had a pair of Georgia boots, which were okay. The most comfortable pair I owned were a pair of LaCrosse. I currently have a pair of of Wolverines and they are pretty good. I would recommend the LaCrosse over the Wolverines, though.

By the way, I highly recommend the steel toe. For my LaCrosse, it was $5 more for the steel toe, which the LOML made me spend (even though I thought it was a bit of overkill). A week later, a big C-clamp fell off the workbench and landed on my foot. Best $5 I ever spent.

Cheers,

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.

Red Wing

Red Wings +1
    Made in USA +1,000,000
    Epilog Helix 45
    Corel Draw X7
    Stepcraft 840 CNC
    Fully outfitted woodshop
    I'm a PC...........

I have bought Knapp shoes & boots for 30+ years and been very pleased with them. Size 15d's are hard to find. The last pr. of work boots are a poor fit, little bitty eyelets, and the laces started to wear out in the first week. I would have sent them back but did some spray painting with them on the first day.
    Made in "CHINA"
    Mike

I stopped at the Red Wing store over on the Berlin Tpke in Newington over the weekend. I finally ended with a pair from the "discontinued" section. They aren't perfect for what I want (not waterproof, not the best of the "non skid" soles), but they were only $95 with steel toe, steel shank with straight cut heel. I'm not used to a steel toe boot and one big toe seems to touch the inside of the toe box, although not badly.

I may go look at the Chippewa boots before I use the Red Wings for anything just to see if the fit is any better.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Russell View Post
    I stopped at the Red Wing store over on the Berlin Tpke in Newington over the weekend. I finally ended with a pair from the "discontinued" section. They aren't perfect for what I want (not waterproof, not the best of the "non skid" soles), but they were only $95 with steel toe, steel shank with straight cut heel. I'm not used to a steel toe boot and one big toe seems to touch the inside of the toe box, although not badly.

I may go look at the Chippewa boots before I use the Red Wings for anything just to see if the fit is any better.
    Mink oil - first thing I do with a pair of new boots and then every few weeks when they get scuffed up. This will keep the water out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Arceneaux View Post
    Mink oil - first thing I do with a pair of new boots and then every few weeks when they get scuffed up. This will keep the water out.
    Yeah - we have that and silicone waterproofing. Either would work for leather preservation, although the mink oil is nice because it's a more natural product. I'm actually more concerned about the "oil-resistant" soles because they're hard and I suspect a bit slippery to be wearing up on a roof.

Yeah - we have that and silicone waterproofing. Either would work for leather preservation, although the mink oil is nice because it's a more natural product. I'm actually more concerned about the "oil-resistant" soles because they're hard and I suspect a bit slippery to be wearing up on a roof.
    Once you get them broke in, I do not think you will have a problem. That is one reason I avoid steel shanks, way to stiff.
    Last edited by Kevin Arceneaux; 08-18-2008 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Arceneaux View Post
    Once you get them broke in, I do not think you will have a problem. That is one reason I avoid steel shanks, way to stiff.
    I'm OK with the stiff shank, especially since I'll be up on a ladder a bit - it'll make standing on the rungs more comfortable.

My concern with the sole is the material. It's oil resistant and what appears to be a harder material than the other "slip resistant" ones. I'm not going to be spending that much time actually on the roof and may just wear boat mocs for those jobs.

I stopped at the Red Wing store over on the Berlin Tpke in Newington over the weekend.
    Did that store in Newington have a good selection? I could use a new pair of motorcycle boots and I think I saw on the Red Wing site that they have a moto boot line.

13. Asolo Yukon~!!

Oh sorry them's hiking boots.