Thread: BLO Question

BLO Question

I'm making a kaleidoscope for my grandson and I want to finish it with BLO topped with Arm-R-Seal. Should the BLO be thinned before it's put on and if so how should I thin it?

TIA
    Jerry

Blo

I would not thin it. The object is probably round if it is a kalidiscope. I would put some BLO on a cloth and rub it on the wood and let it soak in for about 15 min. and check to see if there are any spots where it has soaked in more that elsewhere and add more to these areas. After another 15 min. or so wipe it down. It will have to dry a good while before applying a topcoat. I let my stuff dry a week. One can apply a 1 lb cut of shellac and add your topcoat earlier.
    It should really pop the wood. I have done it on pine and it sure puts a glow to it.

I never thin BLO, although I've heated it to 135º in a water bath to allow for greater penetration on a few projects that would only have BLO and wax.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I usually thin BLO 1/1 with naphtha for better penetration. In addition, I place the pieces in the sun to warm the oil and, in the case of cherry, give the wood a suntan to add color.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

Never thought to heat the BLO. Maybe I'll give that a try. Should I give it more than one coat?

Thanks
    Jerry

The more than one coat question depends on the purpose for the oil. If it's just to enhance the character and color of the wood, than one application is sufficient. If it "is" the finish (such as for a BLO and wax finish), multiple applications are indicated a day or three apart.
    --

But, in my opinion, there isn't much reason for BLO as a finish, with or without the wax. An oil/varnish mix used just like the BLO adds considerable protective capabilities (ie. much less water spotting) and in most cases I doubt anyone could tell the difference.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schoene View Post
    But, in my opinion, there isn't much reason for BLO as a finish, with or without the wax. An oil/varnish mix used just like the BLO adds considerable protective capabilities (ie. much less water spotting) and in most cases I doubt anyone could tell the difference.
    I use BLO when I need a non-brittle finish that will not show scratches in the film. As always, our choices depend on purpose, budget, personal preference, etc. etc, ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schoene View Post
    This is the classic view as of late, but in my experience, it's a fine finish. My wife's cherry desk (my first furniture project) built in about 1997 is finished with BLO and wax. It's been re-waxed about three times since and still looks like new. And Thos Moser uses BLO and wax exclusively for his furniture, including the pieces for commercial use in places like libraries. It all comes down to what you want or expect and how the object in question is going to be used.

I do agree that it's not a good choice for something like a kitchen table, however...
    --