Thread: Used Performax 16/ 32 - Good price?

Used Performax 16/ 32 - Good price?

I have an opportunity to purchase a used (appears in good condition from photo) Performax 16 / 32 for $350, including stand, casters and misc sandpaper. Does $350 sound like a good price? and what should I look for when / if I go to inspect / purchase?

Thanks!

Price is Great!

I'm not sure what you should look for, but if it is in good condition, I think $350 is a great price! I rarely see them sell for less than $500, and they often do not have the casters or infeed/outfeed tables. If you decide not to buy it and you are in the Atlanta area, let me know!

I'd buy it in a heartbeat at that price! Aren't they $1000ish new?

Look for the following:

A real 4" dust port on the top. The older models had 2" ones.

A 1.5hp motor. The older models had only 1hp ones and would frequently trip the overload.

Tracking kit or new tracking mechanism. This one is one i'm not too familliar with, the one I picked up had the retro-fit kit in a box, but looks like a solid tracking system is already in place (adjustable on both sides).

Infeed/Outfeed tables are very well regarded. If it has 'em, you're in good shape.

If you have all the above, $350 is a GREAT deal. I paid $400 for mine last spring. From all I've read, if it doesn't have the 1.5hp motor it might be best to let it go. I can't say that from experience, just what I've read. Same goes for the 4" dust port.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

They dont get much better than $350 - even better if it's got the I/O tables. I'd go for it.

Jason
    I dont dispute that the newer ones are better but I've got the older version and have never tripped the overload. And I think the port is 2-1/2 not 2". A shop vac actually does reasonably well at getting the dust and changing the port wouldn't be hard anyway. That's something I still need to do since getting a cyclone.
    Use the fence Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mellott View Post
    I'm not sure what you should look for, but if it is in good condition, I think $350 is a great price! I rarely see them sell for less than $500, and they often do not have the casters or infeed/outfeed tables. If you decide not to buy it and you are in the Atlanta area, let me know!
    Steve,its on Atlanta craigslist today - tools section. I have found out its 12 years old, has a 1 hp motor and 2.5 inch dust port. I think at this time I will pass, so have at it.

Bill

I agree with Doug, I've had mine since 1992 when they came out. I use it on all my lumber, mosty cherry. I had it trip out 2 times years ago. I wore out 1 feed belt when I was making veneer. I don't use thier sand paper.
    Otherwise no problems
    Earl

That's excellent to hear. I've only seen a few positive reports to bring up the average "feel" of the older models. I'm glad to see other folks are happy with them. Today, that sander, with casters and feed tables, would run $1000 retail. Less than half price if it's in great shape is a heck of a deal
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

Buffo price if it's in good shape. Just missed one locally for 400 which I thought was an excellent price.

If this is the same unit that was on the Atlanta CL a couple of weeks ago - I ended up with it. It's an older model (extention tables weren't an option and both motors are smaller, plus the 2.5" dust port), but I'd rather have one made in the US anyway. It has interesting steel (appear to be stainless) legs as a stand. The guy who sold it to me was very nice - giving up his tools to help fund his daughter's education (nursing). Anyway, I'll be trying it out on an upcoming project.

I'm thinking about building a flip stand for it with my lunchbox planer on the other side.

-- John
    "No matter where you go, there you are" -- Buckaroo Banzai