Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: SEC Football

I so agree with the post about laughing yourself off the couch at the demise of teams north of the Mason - Dixon. They just don't get it. Football in the south is so much more than a sport. It's a passion that cannot be explained, only experienced. However, with that being said, if you want REAL passion for football - come to Texas. My son's 6 year old flag team had the opposition's scouts at their practices.

Hook Em Horns

James

Quote Originally Posted by James G. Jones View Post
    I so agree with the post about laughing yourself off the couch at the demise of teams north of the Mason - Dixon. They just don't get it. Football in the south is so much more than a sport. It's a passion that cannot be explained, only experienced. However, with that being said, if you want REAL passion for football - come to Texas. My son's 6 year old flag team had the opposition's scouts at their practices.

Hook Em Horns

James
    I've always heard that you Texans have a real passion about college football. Y'all do start scoutin' a little early, don't you!

I really miss Larry Munson, the voice of the Dawgs, calling all of the games. He's only doing home games now. No matter where fans gather to watch a GA game, the TV volume is off and the radio broadcast is on.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Those of you who follow the SEC know that several of GA's players were suspended a couple of weeks ago. We're ranking right up there with the FSU Crimanoles in arrests.

I just finished the Sports section of today's paper and lo and behold, Georgia Southern (our opponent in the season opener) has suspended EIGHT players for "unspecified violations of institutional rules". No specifics and all the coach would say is that the offenses took place between the end of spring practice and the beginning of preseason camp.

You'd think kids getting a free ride, with perks, could at least keep their noses clean for four or five years!

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    Bella Terra

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    You'd think kids getting a free ride, with perks, could at least keep their noses clean for four or five years!
    Well bless your heat, aren't you talking about attending "Party 101" for 4 years here?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Well bless your heat, aren't you talking about attending "Party 101" for 4 years here?
    Yes Ken, I suppose I am . . . and I guess that is really true for all of the schools. There are players that are exceptions to that rule, but by and large a lot of them aren't. Partying is one thing, but committing crime is something else entirely and I guess I'm living in a dream world where some of these guys would be grateful for the opportunities they have.

Bella Terra

Belinda, I know an exception to these examples. My niece is dating a starting quarterback. He's technically a Junior as far as eligibility is concerned (red-shirted his freshman yr). As far as education is concerned, he has graduated with his Bachelor's and is working on his Master's in Int'l Finance. A good young man from my point of view. (He'd better be, or my sweet little southern belle niece would tear him apart)

James

Belinda, I know an exception to these examples. My niece is dating a starting quarterback. He's technically a Junior as far as eligibility is concerned (red-shirted his freshman yr). As far as education is concerned, he has graduated with his Bachelor's and is working on his Master's in Int'l Finance. A good young man from my point of view. (He'd better be, or my sweet little southern belle niece would tear him apart)

James
    Its a shame that the media gives the publicity to the guys that break laws rather than stories like yours.

I had a real good friend in high school ... scholly to Syracuse as a DB, redshirted one year, graduated in 5 with a Masters ... drafted in the 4th round, played 5-7 years in NFL, now ( was ?? ) a strength coach with a couple of Super Bowl rings ... still as nice a guy as he was when I hung out with him.

James
    Thanks for sharing a story about one of the exceptions. It's amazing how ferocious a riled up souther belle can be, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Koepke View Post
    Its a shame that the media gives the publicity to the guys that break laws rather than stories like yours.

I had a real good friend in high school ... scholly to Syracuse as a DB, redshirted one year, graduated in 5 with a Masters ... drafted in the 4th round, played 5-7 years in NFL, now ( was ?? ) a strength coach with a couple of Super Bowl rings ... still as nice a guy as he was when I hung out with him.
    Agreed, Lee. I wish the paper would pick one of the good guys for each game day and run a story about him that day.

Bella Terra

99% are good guys. I lived in West Halls when I went to Penn State. That was were the jocks lived on campus. I also had classes with a few and they were really nice guys. They actually were working towards degrees and most had them. The other 1% thought they walked on water and all should bow to them. Most of the good guys did not like them that much either. Back then JoePa would run a small truck over them to remind them that they were not god.

yeah but the joepa's of the world are becoming fewer and fewer.

it's all sunshine and roses here in arkansas for now, frank broyles is finally gone, houston nutt will be coaching the last place team in the conference at ole miss, and everyone seems to like the new AD, but the jury is out on the coach still.

casey dick had trouble not screwing up games that darren mcfadden could win by himself, i don't know how he's gonna fare with a run and shoot offense to manage.

either way, the toughest conference in college football is getting tougher. i think there are 7 legitimate top 25 teams this year, and depending on how miss st. and spurrier do, maybe 8. that and kentucky and vanderbilt are slowly but surely getting better. don't forget about miss st. people, they have the former guru of NFL running back coaches there and they'll be good and getting better in the coming years.

i think we'll see 10 ranked teams in the SEC in the coming years at at least one point in time.

and i sure am glad the luckeyes are going to take a beating at USC early this year so we don't have to listen to ESPN tell us how great they are for the whole season again.

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Clayton View Post
    and i sure am glad the luckeyes are going to take a beating at USC early this year so we don't have to listen to ESPN tell us how great they are for the whole season again.
    That would be sweet, wouldn't it? What in the world would the ESPN "common taters" talk about then?

Bella Terra

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Clayton View Post

The only thing I ever saw was ESPN dissing the Buckeyes all year. I guess it's all in how your selective hearing works.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Arceneaux View Post
    Now this is a real mascot
    I don't know Kevin, looks like just another one of spoiled party animals to me.

Bella Terra

Two words.
    GO GAMECOCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!