Thread: Paint stripping ???

Paint stripping ???

I have an old ice box ( before most of your times) that has been painted and want to restore it to whatever is underneath. It has been many years since I used a paint stripper. I understand there are now friendly strippers that do well but an internet search has left me confused. I would appreciate an opinion from real users.
    Thanks.

I've used an expensive "safe stripper" that worked reliably, but slowly on old paint. I've used Peel Away with less than warm feelings. Yet, in clement weather, I would still recommend using a Methylene Chloride stripper as being the most effective. I say good weather because I believe with this stuff you need LOTS of serious VENTILATION. Working outdoors with a bit of a breeze would be good, but you have to quickly cover the stripper to keep it from drying out too quickly.

There is also a gizmo out there called the "Silent Paint Remover" that is essentially a fancy heat-lamp. I have used one for quite a bit of work and it is amazing. It works kinda like a heat gun but does not heat as hot so burning is less an issue and, more importantly for the application I was using it for, it does not heat enough to release lead fumes so they claim it is ok for that. Featured on This Old House a while back. Last time I used one they rented them.

I agree with Steve. The "eco friendly" strippers tend to work very slowly and many require multiple applications and they still leave residual finish in deep pored woods.

My recommendation is to use a stripper containing methylene chloride. It will remove the multiple finishes much more quickly and completely. Just follow the directions on the label.
    Howie.........

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schoene View Post
    I would still recommend using a Methylene Chloride stripper as being the most effective. I say good weather because I believe with this stuff you need LOTS of serious VENTILATION.
    Steve is VASTLY more qualfied than I to speak on all manner of subjects relating to finishing etc. so certainly no question whatsoever on his recommendation. However, definitely heed the "LOTS of serious VENTILATION" advise. I am also not a chemist but I once did a job at a place where guys were exposed to it all the time as a cleaner / solvent and they seemed to, collectively, have about 5 working brain cells left. No way exposure to the stuff can be good for you.

Steve also mentions peel-away. I have used this as well and while it will take paint off very well, it is MESSY and for certain formulations it needs to be neutalized and it stains the wood. They make a formulation that does not stain but it does not work as well in my experience.